CD-R burn problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rjedoaks, Nov 24, 2007.

1. rjedoaks macrumors newbie

None of the CD's I burn are playable on anything but my iMac. In the past, I have burned many on a PC that play on everything. Am I missing something here. New Imac owner. Thanks

2. nakile macrumors regular

3. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

Straight from my play list at Itunes

Should I be using a different program?

4. nakile macrumors regular

I don't know. You didn't tell me what the program your using is. :p

Are you burning your disc directly from the Finder or are you using a 3rd party program?

5. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

No third party program

Itunes gives you an option /Burn playlist to disk. The burn process proceeds.
    Finder will not allow me to burn , because the File menu drop down isn't highlighted.

I know I'm not being very clear. Can it be done through the Finder? thanks, Rich

6. nakile macrumors regular

Oh. The reason I was asking was because some 3rd party burners have an option to make a disc that only works in a Mac.

I guess this isn't the case here.

7. lfc200 macrumors member

just get mactheripper. Probably one of the simplest to use and its free. Must say though ive never tried burning a dvd the way you are trying to do it.

8. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about a simple music CD

Does Ripper burn music CD's also? thanks

9. sndcj1 macrumors member

What you are doing is exactly what you should be doing. The only suggestion I would have is to try to slow down the burn speed, or try a different CD manufacturer to get better results. Go to "Preferences - Advanced - Burning" to change the type/speed of the burn. In theory, it should work at any speed, just throwing out the options to try. You might have a bad writer in your computer, but I would try a few other options before you contact apple.

10. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info

Seems strange that Apple wouldn't provide dedicated software like microsoft, which was very easy.Rich

11. sndcj1 macrumors member

Well, I'm not sure what "dedicated software" the mac doesn't have that Microsoft does. I use iTunes on my Windows machines to burn audio disks, just like I do on my Mac. On the Mac, I would say it is easier, or at least as easy, to burn data. They both have native support to burn to CDs from their respective finder/explorer windows, the Mac can burn to DVD as well, I'm not sure about Vista, but that support was definitely lacking in XP.