CD-R/CD unrecognizable, but DVDs are

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mooey, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Mooey macrumors regular

Long story short:

Had to reinstall Windows cause I got a virus. After three days of finally trying to tackle the virus, repairing the disk in Disk Utility, and popping Windows XP (on a CD-R because I gave my original to my bro) and trying several other copies (from illegal matters to acquiring a legitimate copy (also on a CD-R) from my university's software program) I have found that my Superdrive does not recognize CD-Rs.

I popped a DVD in, and it showed up.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, flashing my Superdrive, uninstalling programs (such as VMWare) that could have tampered with the hardware, and many other methods...

I really need XP back on there for programming purposes. Any help would be appreciated.

Fix: Buy a $10 DVD Disc Cleanser that will swab your Superdrive. If you are better experienced and can take apart you Macbook Pro (and out of warranty), I'm sure cleaning it this way would also help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried a number of CD-Rs? Even using a single disk that has been verified to work on another computer, some computers are more tolerant of poor burns than others.

3. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I've tried everything including Verbatim, Maxell, Imation, Memorex and I think Sony.
    I just bought a CD/DVD-Rom cleaner and though it cleaned the thing, nothing changed.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Odd. If your computer can run Windows, then obviously it can read CD-R. Do you have an external disc drive you can try? If not, maybe bring it in to the Apple Store?

5. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

Fixed.

I let the disc cleaner run for about thirty minutes. It costs $10 at Wal-Mart (make sure to get the brush DVD).