Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Does anyone know of any good, and free software to rip CDs to AACs aside from iTunes? I want to rip a bunch of CDs for my Uncle, and don't want to add them to my iTunes library. so I figured a separate app would work well, but I can't seem to find any. If not a separate App is there some way to rip a CD in iTunes and not add it to my Library? Thanks

StrongGlad

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2003
Have you considered simply creating a new (temporary) user account on your mac in order to avoid messing up your iTunes library? That's probably what I'd do...

Set up a new user, log into that account, rip all the discs, and then burn the AACs (using the "Backup to Disc" option). When you're finished, just log back into your normal account and delete the temporary user you created.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
If not a separate App is there some way to rip a CD in iTunes and not add it to my Library? Thanks
Well, couldn't you just remove them from the Library after you rip them? Or is there something I'm missing here.

I can't think of any other decent CD ripping software off the top of my head. I'm sure it exists, but pretty much everyone uses iTunes. :eek:

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Have you considered simply creating a new (temporary) user account on your mac in order to avoid messing up your iTunes library? That's probably what I'd do...

Set up a new user, log into that account, rip all the discs, and then burn the AACs (using the "Backup to Disc" option). When you're finished, just log back into your normal account and delete the temporary user you created.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind after I made the post, thats probably what I'll do, except just transfer them over the network instead of burning.

Well, couldn't you just remove them from the Library after you rip them? Or is there something I'm missing here.

I can't think of any other decent CD ripping software off the top of my head. I'm sure it exists, but pretty much everyone uses iTunes. :eek:

I could delete them, but Im talking about quite a few CDs hear, I would have to search for each one, and delete them one at a time, just eaiser the other way.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I could delete them, but Im talking about quite a few CDs hear, I would have to search for each one, and delete them one at a time, just eaiser the other way.

If you would rip them all in one go. Give your uncle his copies. Then you can sort the library so the newest songs are at the top and select them all and delete them all at once. Or am i misunderstanding this?

Also found this piece of software http://sbooth.org/Max/

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
If you would rip them all in one go. Give your uncle his copies. Then you can sort the library so the newest songs are at the top and select them all and delete them all at once. Or am i misunderstanding this?

Also found this piece of software http://sbooth.org/Max/

Theres not really any way to sort the library by newest first, at least that I can find. I can make a playlist, but that won't work. No big deal though I'll just do it as a different user. Also I tried Max, and for some reason iTunes refused to play the AAC that it made

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Theres not really any way to sort the library by newest first, at least that I can find. I can make a playlist, but that won't work. No big deal though I'll just do it as a different user. Also I tried Max, and for some reason iTunes refused to play the AAC that it made

You add the "date added" column (either through the view-view options or ctrl click) and click it until the newest songs are on top. Then you select those songs and delete them and i believe itunes will give you the option of deleting them from your HD as well.

In max you shouldnt select aac but mpeg 4 audio. In the encoder settings you can chose either AAC or Apple lossless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.