CD-rom drive going bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by faintember, Apr 23, 2007.

1. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Hey all,

I think my CD drive is going bad, but have no clue if these are symptoms of a bad disk or what. Some disks tend to, upon being put in the Macbook, spin up, are recognized by the hard drive then basically slow down and refuse to spin up again. For example, I was attempting to rip one of my past professors new CD and it rips fine for one song, then halfway through the next song the CD spins down, and keeps spinning just a little faster, then slower, then faster, then slower, etc. This locks up iTunes and Disk Utility also is inoperable when this is happening. I force quit iTunes, and then have to press the eject button anywhere from 3-10+ times to get the disk to eject. Sometimes it will not even eject the disk all the way, but just about 1/8" and then suck it back in.

Now I originally had this issue with my WoW installation CDs and WoW:TBC CDs, but I figured that was just part of the Blizzard "printed on the cheapest CD possible, i.e. one made of nuclear waste" philosophy, so I largely wrote that off. Now the same issues have happened with this recent CD as well as another CD. All have been professionally pressed CD media.

Anyways, any tips or suggestions? I have one month left on Applecare as well. Searching the site didn't really show any info (at least that I could find).

edit: it's a Macbook CD 2Ghz

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Take advantage of that last month of AppleCare mate. May as well. Good luck. :)

3. JohanVild macrumors newbie

AppleCare man!
    Take full advantage of it. Definitely sounds like your drive is going.

4. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

I guess I will give Apple a call tomorrow. I just hate that I will have to remove my extra RAM and HD...again. I just hate that it will read a cheap CD-R, but won't read a professional, redbook format CD.