cd-rom installation on parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sindaar, Mar 16, 2008.

1. sindaar macrumors newbie

I have an i-mac Intel chip 2.4mhz, 1G and I am running parallels 3.0 within osx 10.5. I tried to install a CD-ROM while in windows and I got the following error message: "This product requies a windows video driver which allows 256 selectable colours. You may be able to configure Windows for this type of driver by running the windows Setup program. Otherwise, please consult the manuals which came with the computer or video card for information about changing video drivers. If you cannot find this information please contact the computer manufactuer for the correct drivers."

To be honest i don't know where to start. Can anyone come up with a suggestion on what to do.

Thanks

2. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I think it is drivers-only problem. Do you have any CD that goes with your CD-ROM? Must have.. If you have one than install drivers from this CD in Windows thru Parallels. If you don't then try to google drivers for the model of your CD-ROM.
    Otherwise, try to get answer on Parallels official forum. But I don't think that this problem concerns Parallels soft...
    Good luck! :)

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Have you installed the Parallels Tools? It installs better graphics drivers, allows you to move the mouse outside of the Windows window without clickong control/option etc. etc. I'm not sure why it doesn't install it automatically on every install. The instructions are listed below.

Also, the default windows video settings may need to be changed. Right mouse click on the windows desktop and choose Display Properties (I'm not positive it's called that but you need to change the display settings and you can get to it by right clicking on the windows desktop). Then change the video settings to a better, higher resolution, more colors, setting.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

To install Parallels Tools in a Windows guest OS do the following:
    1 Make sure that the virtual machine configuration includes a CD/DVD-ROM drive, and it is enabled (the Enabled check box is selected). See CD/DVD-ROM Options (page 180).
    2 Start your virtual machine and log in to the guest operating system.
    3 Choose Install Parallel Tools from the Actions menu.
    4 Parallels Tools Setup program starts. Click Next.
    5 In the Choose Destination Location dialog click Next to install Tools to the default folder.
    Use the Change button to specify other location. Then click Next.
    6 In the Setup Type dialog choose the setup type. The Complete setup installs all of the tools available for your guest OS. The Custom setup allows you to choose the tools you want to install. If you selected the Complete setup, proceed to Step 8.
    7 If you selected the Custom setup, in the Select Features dialog select the desired to the list of the tools available for your guest OS, and click Next.