CD-R's 700 MB + (on MacBook)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tim117, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Tim117 macrumors regular

I'm looking for some CD-R's (or DVD-R's) that are greater than 700 mb that work on MacBook? I have some Philips DVD-R's that are 4.7 gb but my computer simply ejects the disk and chooses not to recognize it.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Dumb question: Does your MacBook have a SuperDrive? If it only has a combo drive, it will just spit out blank DVD-Rs because it can't do anything with them.

3. Tim117 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to assume it has a combo. It's about a year old. Only has the GMA 950 graphics card.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you click on the Apple logo in the upper left, then "About This Mac", then "More Info...", it will pull up Apple System Profiler. Click on "Disc Burning" and it will give you information about the drive you have and what types of media it can read from and write to.

Generally the entry-level MacBooks come with only a combo drive, but you can upgrade to the SuperDrive...so it depends on what you purchased.

If you do have a combo drive, then you're stuck. There are CD-Rs larger than 700 MB, but they are very rare and I suspect they wouldn't be compatible since they utilize special techniques to increase the data density.

5. Tim117 thread starter macrumors regular

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8221:

Firmware Revision: GA0J
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
    Media: No

I wouldn't know.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry OP, I don't think you have a Superdrive. Out of curiosity, why wouldn't an external drive work for this data? Are you planning on playing it elsewhere?

7. Tim117 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure it would. I'm just burning some data disks with some movies on them.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone really didn't think things through when they named their company, did they? :D

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're looking to backup your movies, then an external would work best anyways. If you're doing this to violate contracts, we won't be able to help you anymore. ;)