CD sharing from Lion to Tiger - help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onepunch, May 11, 2012.

1. onepunch macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to access my drive on my lion through a tiger, because the disc drive is bust! I've connected the two via local network, both of them having switched DVD/CD sharing switched on. File sharing's not a problem.

I've typed the commands in terminal (see below) making the remote disc visible on my lion, but unfortunately not on my tiger.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

After writing those commands on the tiger machine and rebooting the remote disc device is still not visible.

When writing the command:
    defaults read com.apple.NetworkBrowser

I receive:
    {EnableODiskBrowsing = 1;
    ODSSupported = 1;}

Which, I've read is what it is supposed say if CD/DVD sharing is enabled and functioning. I'm no shark in terminal - I've only been googling my way through this.

Please help! Otherwise I'm afraid I'll never be able to play powerPC games again such as Starcraft I, Baldurs Gate I & II and Warcraft III. This is of vital importance.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

My money is on Tiger simply not supporting it correctly.

You're talking about 8 year old software.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

DVD/CD sharing only works for MacBook Airs and the newer Mac minis. Only those two families of systems can access the optical drives of other Macs and PCs on the network. You should be able to access the optical drive through Target Disk Mode, however. If you were to boot the Lion system holding the T key, and connect the two systems via FireWire, you should be able to mount the disc in its optical drive from the Tiger system.