CD stuck in drive after power outage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jamulchick, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jamulchick macrumors newbie

This problem is really twofold. I was trying to repair my iMac which had a black screen with the multilanguage error saying I had to power off the computer and power back on. I did this numerous time with no luck. Could not boot into safe mode either. So, I inserted the OS install disk and went to Utilities so I could check things out when the power in the neighborhood went out. Once the power came back on the computer will not read the CD, nor can I eject the CD and I get the same black screen and the same error. I have tried holding down the C key, the D key the Options key, the Command key and the Eject key with no luck. I tried holding down the mouse key as well. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

3. Jamulchick thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a hand me down and I think it is a 2007 or 2008 but not sure exactly.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. Jamulchick thread starter macrumors newbie

It is aluminum.

I have not tried reseting the PMU or SMC. I can try that. I tried a lot of the other stuff, but remember, the computer will not boot up, so I am limited.

6. dduggan macrumors newbie

You can also force eject the disc by turning the iMac on and when you hear the 'bong', press and hold the left mouse button until the disc ejects.

7. simsaladimbamba

The OP already tried it.

8. dduggan macrumors newbie

Sorry - missed that at the end of his post :eek:

9. Jamulchick, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Jamulchick thread starter macrumors newbie

I think a lot of the problem lies with the fact that the power went out while the disc was in there. I was in the middle of running the utilities in order to figure out why the computer would not boot. Now, I cannot boot to the CD or eject it.

10. seniorgeek macrumors member

All the CD/DVD players I have installed in PC's over the years all had a small hole on the front that one could stick in a paper clip end and eject the stuck disc, I am not familiar with the Imac drives to know if they have such a feature.