CD Stuck in Drive.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HappySnail, Dec 13, 2008.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

I have an iMac 07 silver and put a CD in the drive, one with a home made label. This CD has worked on every other PC i used but i assume the label has either come off or something in my imac, is there anything i can do to get it out, i don't want to just jam a screwdriver or anything in but i can't see any other option, the imac is trying to eject this disc every 30 seconds or so but just makes clunky noises.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the computer is powered on, open up Disk Utility and see if you can eject the disc from there. Another thing to try is restarting the computer with either the mouse or the eject key on the keyboard held down. At some point in the boot process unless there's something physically preventing removal of the disc it should kick out. If all else fails its time to check for a nearby service provider or Apple retail store to remove the disc.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

What used to work on slot load drives was a straightened paper clip stuck into the extreme right of the slot. With the power on the cd would eject, triggered by pressure on a release lever.

4. Chrycopsycho macrumors member

open terminal and enter the following command:

drutil tray eject

Chris

5. jbsingleton macrumors newbie

It just came out

I was frantically searching the net for tips on how to get a library DVD (and thus thicker) out of my Macbook Pro (15in) when I found this forum. The DVD would not read and would not come out. Out of desperation, I finally tilted the computer forward (at about 45 degrees) and continually tapped on the bottom of the shell (under the DVD-ROM drive) but wasn't expecting anything to come out. It came out and bumped my thumb - which made my heart sink - thinking it was going back in - and I grabbed it. Now I am a happy camper. :apple:

6. ChronoYu macrumors member

Wow jbsingleton! Haha, it's probably definitely been done before, but it's just a bit funny whenever I read that. Sorry ^^" :)
    I think I'll try that next time. I wondering though, why did u tilt the computer forward 45 degrees? Shouldn't you try tilting it sideways, so the side with the disc drive is tilting downwards? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just want to know... ?

I too had a disc stuck in the drive once, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did. Either I used Force Eject, or tried inserting another disc in, sort of prodding the first disc and making it come out.

7. jbsingleton macrumors newbie

It just came out

I have a Macbook Pro - so the CD-ROM is front loading. But to make things worse ... I did it again. My father gave me a home-made DVD. Without thinking ... I just put it in. ... Hopefully it will come back out. Trying the tilting and tapping ...:confused:

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Holding the mouse button (trackpad) during boot will cause the disc to eject.

9. jbsingleton macrumors newbie

It Just Came Out

Yeah ... actually getting the CD-ROM to try to eject isn't the problem. The problem lies with the thickness of the CD (home-made label) and the design of the CD-ROM mouth (plus the fact that there is a huge dent under the CD-ROM causing it to be raised just a bit).

After thinking about that. I turned my Macbook Pro upside down and the disk came out. I thought about testing this theory, but figured I will just wait until next week when I forget and put another home-made CD back in the laptop.

I am definitely sold out as a Mac user, but these female CD-ROMS are a big problem. :apple: