CD stuck in iMac drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by captainparanoid, Apr 29, 2014.

1. captainparanoid macrumors newbie

I have a cd stuck in the slot drive of my intel 20 inch imac. I have tried all the other advice on this forum, card/screwdriver in the drive while powering up and left clicking mouse but it will not budge. I do not feel confident enough to take the imac apart (no suction cups for screen either) and I am trying to avoid paying an engineer to get it out. Any others ideas?

Thanks

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hold the eject button on the keyboard when starting up. It usually works.

As you have an old imac, do you see a small hole next to cd drive? If so, get a stong paperclip, unfold it and push it in, this will manually eject the cd from the drive. It takes quite a lot of force/pushing. Good luck!

3. captainparanoid thread starter macrumors newbie

cd stuck

Hey thanks for the swift reply. It tries to eject but even when i tip it on its side it just wont spit it out. I have had this problem a few times before and always managed to use a knife to work the cd loose but not this time.

Is the eject hole at the top or bottom of the imac drive?

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Recent macs don't have the little hole anymore. As you have an older model, you might have it. It should be next/underneath the cd drive.

Also, have you searched at the apple support forums? There are about 8 (i believe) ways to get a stuck cd out the drive.

Again, hold the eject button on the keyboard all the way through startup. The drive makes noise and nothing happens. Keep holding the eject, after a while it should eject.

5. captainparanoid thread starter macrumors newbie

!

After all my extensive and exhaustive efforts I powered up my mac and the cd just popped out ! The imac was obviously just messing with my head :)

Thanks for your time in replying