CD stuck in reader

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macdumb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. macdumb macrumors member

My 2 year old stuck a cd, possibly 2 in the reader and now I can't get them out. The Comp. sounds like it wants to eject but will not and just makes some weird noises. Is there a trick to get them out?

thanks alot

Merry Christmas!!!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If there isn't an icon on the Desktop for you to drag to the trash, open up Disk Utility and see if there's an eject option in there with the optical drive selected. You can also try holding down the eject key while starting up the computer. If there are two discs in there, there is no way to remove either without opening the case to my knowledge. If you prefer, you can also bring the system in for servicing at either an Apple Retail Store or an Apple authorized service provider. Search http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/ for your nearest one and see if the hours are listed.

3. macdumb thread starter macrumors member

disk utility did nothing and neither did the button being held during start up!

Weird...:mad:

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Restart the computer and hold the mouse button, it should eject

5. macdumb thread starter macrumors member

Didn't work :mad:

it keeps cluckin and chuggin like it wants to do something but won't do anything.

Now this thing is annoying me!

6. wareupdater macrumors newbie

What is the brand/model of your CDROM?

if its like the ordinary one you should see a hole small one in its from panel, that is the manual ejector. to perform it:

1. get a paper clip large one. straight it and remove its vinyl coating. make sure that its is strong enough to push some mechanical gear inside your CDROM.
    2. slowly shoot it in the hole.
    3. for about 2 inc you will reach its "manual ejector" slowly push it while holding the eject button. computer should be powered on.
    4. It will open, but since your think you got 2 discs in there you may need to use some force to eject it.

I hope this helps.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Can you attempt to eject the drive in the terminal?

This is a slot loaded drive? Do they have the ability to insert a paper clip to release the loading mechanism?

8. macdumb thread starter macrumors member

It is the kind in the side of the monitor. No holes for paper clips.
    Before it was making all kinds of noises, it has stopped. I hope the cd reader didn't die!