CD Timeout

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kelvinmead, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kelvinmead macrumors newbie

hi,

coming from the land of evil (windows) i have become accustomed to some of the finer points.

most of these i can find routes around...

but one is causing me a major issue.

i have some backups of windows bits on dvds, and on inserting them into the drive, the computer will basically hang until it reads the dvd.

now because this supercomputer doesnt have a pin hole / eject button, i cant eject the cd/dvd until its recognised there is one in there.

sometimes the dvd is read but not understood, so it get stuck in a kind of limbo where finder won't give me the eject function, or will just ignore that ive pressed the eject button, so i can go disk utility, then press eject there, which may or may not come up... if all else fails, i reboot the computer and then eject which seems to work.

this can take 5-10 mins for the computer to realise that there is a dvd in the drive.

is there a setting for a dvd timeout, or a hard version of eject?

2. kelvinmead thread starter macrumors newbie

262 people have viewed this and no-one has any idea how to eject a cd?

just to put this in perspective, rebooting did nothing for ejecting, and now finder will only let me navigate my nas.

hard drives / mem sticks etc are now not being read, and all because the system is hung up on this frikking dvd.

3. kelvinmead thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help!

i shoved a credit card in the drive and turned off the macbook, then restarted holding the trackpad down, and the dvd popped out and my computer was useful again.

i say useful, but in comparison to these well visited forums, i mean infinitely more useful.

im not sure if this is a clicky forum, but based on a few peoples responses to quite normal questions, i can see it as a RTFM, n00b.

you're an inspiration to all mankind.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Next time you could open terminal and enter this command, then hit enter:

diskutil unmountDisk force /Volumes/DISK_NAME
    (disk name can be found in Disk Utilities)

or this

drutil tray eject

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Most of those "views" you are referring to are web crawlers, and should not be looked at as from actual human beings.

Also, if a human did read it, and did not respond, here are some other possible explanations for that:

1. They are having the same problem as you and wanted to see if you were posting a solution, when you were actually just posting a question, followed by a frustrated "bump', and then a third childish retort to the forums at large (aka: "Ha! I fixed it myself, no thanks to you jerks!").

2. They did not know what could be done to fix your issue.

Then, of course, there are those who fall under one of these, who haven't even seen this thread until now, because:

1. They were asleep when you posted it.

2. They were at work when you posted it.

3. They were not online when you posted it.

4. Any other thing that could explain why you didn't get a response right away.

My suggestion to you is that in the future, if you're looking for help, try to be a bit more patient, and if you feel the need to "bump" the thread, don't be so rude when you do. Failing that, if you bought AppleCare with your product, call AppleCare for help. You get free phone support for the duration of your AppleCare agreement.