CD to LAME 3.98

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BoogieTrain, Mar 12, 2009.

1. BoogieTrain macrumors member

I can't seem to find a good method to rip my CDs into MP3 using the latest LAME. I'd rather not mess with Darwine or anything, actually I wouldn't mind but its been giving me problems lately. Darwine aside, how could i rip my CDs with LAME 3.98? I tried using bootcamp to use EAC under Win XP but it fails to see the CD info like album name, artist, track names, etc. I've used a program by the name of iTunes-LAME (http://www.blacktree.com/projects/itunes-lame.html) and it works wonderfully. iTunes sees all the CD info and iTunes-LAME creates mp3s, but the only problem is that it uses LAME 3.97. If it makes any difference, the CD im trying to rip is a Japanese CD and there was no internet connection on my XP setup. Does iTunes grab the cd info from the CD or from the internet? Ill disable my internet and try a different CD and report back but in the meantime, any encoding suggestions are appreciated.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is weird you can't use eac. Do you have a network connection under bootcamp? I have not had any problems with it. Although I do not use bootcamp any more, went to vmware, I did not have any problems with it in the past. There are two programs that I still use on the windows side, eac and tag and rename.

I can't remember if XLD will do mp3, but take a look at that. I have been using it to rip my cd's into apple lossless. I know it has other formats.

3. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

no, there is no network connection under my bootcamp xp for some reason. I can however, use VMWare Fusion to boot the same installation in a virtual machine. Ill try that :)

EDIT: The tracklist comes up under EAC when there is an internet connection, however, the only problem is that instead of japanese characters, ?s show up. The correct japanese displays in iTunes under Leopard. I installed the files for east asian languages and japanese characters display perfectly fine in IE, but not EAC. I am going to be ripping mostly Japanese CDs so this is a big issue. And its not only that i don't want to tag the files, i really wont be able to write the kanji and Im not gonna look up the track listing and copy and paste. Does it seem like a windows problem or an EAC problem? Can someone reccomend another program that can use an external LAME encoder to create MP3s? I know of dbPowerAmp and Audiograbber but I have not used either for this purpose. I would love some Recommendations. Perhaps foobar2000? Thanks Guys.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Take a look at XLD.. I just checked it and under the preference screen you can rip using LAME version 3.98.2

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Using Darwine would be kind of silly when Lame is a native UNIX program. Using a windows emulator to run a Linux program that was ported to Windows. Don't do that.

First off why not use iTunes? I've compared the MP3 encoder in iTunes to Lame and I think iTunes does a better job. Apple has licensed what most people think is the best encoder. OK this was some time ago. Maybe Lame has improved? I don't know.

The best way to use LAME is from the command line. It is 100% certain to work that way. The documentation is very complete. You should have the Lame man page on your computer but if not look here
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/lame
    See "examples" near the bottom for simplest usage.

All of the other ways to use Lame interpose some mouse drived GUI layer and you just can't know what's going on. The command line is the best way to go. I read the suggestion above to use XLD because it can use Lame. But which options does XLD select for you? You don't know.

6. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tips guys. I dont mind using the command line and what you said makes sense about emulating to run a port. Now, if I use the command line LAME encoder is there a way to auto tag and name the files based on the gracenote database or the cd-text?

edit: well. the CD info fails to show up without an internet connection so I need to connect to gracenote or something. Otherwise XLD should be fine, it shouldn't do anything i dont tell it to. --alt -present-standard is all im looking for. but if theres a way for everything do be done on the command line then that would be just peachy.

7. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

You can actually just put in a new lame 3.98 binary inside the itunes-lame add-on and that works.... Check the forums for that software if you need instructions or how-tos.

8. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

I actually had that idea but didn't really know how to approach it. Someone on HydrogenAudio has done the work for me/us!

Here is the link to the latest iTunes-LAME (2.09) using the latest LAME (3.98.2)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0f00aabbd754a200d2db6fb9a8902bda

Im using it now with iTunes 8.1. I'll let you know how the files turn out.

Okay. Files look good! the only option i used was -V2 and the files sound good. ~200kbps VBR. iTunes reports the encoder to be LAME3.98. Tags look perfect. ID3v 2.4 Joint-Stereo 77.8MB for a 12 track 52.6 minute (532.2MB) CD.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That works too...... good luck.