CD to MP3

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cbrain, Sep 28, 2007.

1. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

I need to convert Tracks of CDs to MP3 files. Can any one recommend a free program to do this?

I know I can use iTunes but it converts them to M4A, not MP3.

Thanks in advance,

cbrain.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You can select what you want to encode the tracks as in iTunes.

Picture 1.png

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

iTunes also converts to MP3.

In the preferences go to Advanced->importing. There is an option to change what iTunes encodes to. See picture.

EDIT: ARG beaten to it.

Attached Files:

4. cbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

OK, thanks that worked but it might get a little a bit annoying changing the encoder and then changing it back, so is they any simple app that'll just import the selected track and dump the MP3 on the desktop or somewhere else?

5. Greenjeens macrumors regular

It's only annoying forgetting to change the encoder back, after importing a bunch of songs in the wrong format. I still think itunes is a very handy way of encoding, but I can certainly relate in wanting to just mp3 encode a song or 2 to send in an email, and keeping them on the desktop for simplicity.

I usually use some free encoder that's part of a larger audio application like Audacity or iTunes, or the $70 Toast suite, but they are complicated. Keeping the title tags may be one reason to use itunes. I use Toast to download CD text album/song title information using Panther 10.3.9. The CD text info is an option for 10.4 iTunes users.

I just found this encoder, seems to do exactly what you want and it's simple.
    http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html
    The basic version is free. I've only tested it a bit but it seems to work fine. The titles _may_ not be retained.
    -
    Greenjeens

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use Max for ripping CDs.

1. Paranoia ripping
    2. LAME encoding
    3. Converting other audio formats