CD Won't Eject - Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by erat, Apr 12, 2009.

1. erat macrumors newbie

Hey:

I was hoping somebody can help me figure out a way to eject a stuck cd. I have a new Mac Mini and I put a CD (a cd from the photo store containing digital pics) and the cd won't eject.

I have tried the opt, cmd o and f thing, but I don't think it works on intel macs. I have tried drutils (sp?) tray eject and open. I tried ejecting from iTunes, still a no go.

I booted into single user mode and tried a umount, but it says the volume is not mounted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did you try restarting while holding the mouse button down?

3. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I tried that as well. I also tried deleting /Volumes/CDname from inside single user mode; it said that the volume is read only - which makes sense

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

Full size cd. I think I see the root cause. It seems like the photo cd had some sort of autolaunch pic viewer. When I do a ps -ef, I see these listed:

0 174 31 0 0:00.00 ?? 0:00.00 /sbin/mount -t cd9660 -o nodev,noowners,nosuid,rdonly /dev/disk1s0 /Volumes/NORITSU_CD
    0 175 174 0 0:23.23 ?? 0:23.24 /sbin/mount_cd9660 -o nodev -o noowners -o nosuid -o rdonly /dev/disk1s0 /Volumes/NORITSU_CD

I did sudo kill 174 and it killed the process. I cannot kill 175 for some reason. I no longer see the cd mounted under /Volumes, but I still cannot eject. Going to reboot now and see what happens.

Hope this works!

6. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

reboot didn't work. In fact, the cd came back. Killed it again, but I still cannot kill the other process. CD does not appear in /Volumes. Darnit!

7. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

CD ejected. I rebooted, then hit the eject button before logging on and the cd ejected. The photo autolauncher was probably kicking off during the logon process. Thanks for the posts!

erat

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'm surprised it didn't come out when you held the mouse button down on a restart as there are no processes running at that point. You may want to run a hardware test on your DVD drive.

9. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

10. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

also, it's a bluetooth mouse. would that make a difference?

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, as bluetooth drivers are not running at startup either. I always keep a wired mouse around just in case.

Your drive is probably fine (now that I know it was a BT mouse), but just in case, here is the guidelines for the hardware test. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

12. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Guess I'll need to keep a USB mouse handy. Thanks again for your help.