CD won't load in 15" Powerbook G4 Ti

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Slrman, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

I just bought a 1 GHz 15" G4 Powerbook Ti. The seller said everything was working, but a CD/DVD won't load. It is pulled into the drive and acts normally but is then ejected without ever loading or appearing in the Finder. I tried Music, movies, data, and even an original Apple OSX 105 CD.

The OS is 10.5.8, and there is 512 MB of Ram. The seller has offered to send me a new optical drive, but I hope there is some solution easier than replacing the drive.

Maybe waving a dead chicken and chanting? If so, what chant? I know some sea chanties, but those don't seem right.

Thanks,

2. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Problem solved

I reset the PMU with the button under the KB and all returned to normal. So what was the real problem? I have no idea. Maybe a loose nut in front of the keyboard? :D

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

4. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Yep, everything AOK now. The true cause is still a mystery, but so what?

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It could be the drive just wasn't getting the right power to spin up and load the discs. Your PMU reset may have been enough to fix that I guess.

6. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

"It could be the drive just wasn't getting the right power to spin up and load the discs. Your PMU reset may have been enough to fix that "

Interesting thought. That could be it because they were loading in but, as far as I could tell, were not spinning up, just being ejected after a while. The important thing is, everything is AOK now.

Further proof of this theory is that the sound through the speakers was very low and now that's fine, too. It was always good through headphones but the max speaker volume, other than the start-up tone, was not much at all, even at max volume. The PMU reset fixed that too, although I didn't notice it right away.

I hope all this helps someone else as much as it has me.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Ya that all sounds like a power related deal. Glad you got it up and working. You should post a few pics of it! I love my TiBooks, but they're pretty rough. I wish I had the 1GHz one you do. The L3 cache really makes these things screamers.

8. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Pics? You want pics? OK.

I also have a 1 GHz 12" G4 ans a 1.5 GHz 12" G4. They both are in great shape and perform flawlessly.

Attached Files:

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

10. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Yes, it is in great condition. There is a small place with what appears to be a mark from the keyboard. I haven't tried to clean it because I'm not sure what household stuff will work and I haven't been able to find any commercial products for laptop screens here in Brazil. So, until I know what is safe, I'm leaving it as is. There's also the slight wear mark on the left edge below the keyboard but I haven't found the right shade of anything to fix that, either.

My two 12" G4s are in even better condition and I'm really happy with the performance of all of them. I haven't tried anything really intensive like running Final Cut on them for video editing, but everything else is great. Watching movies or web surfing works like a charm. I even use Yahoo messenger with a web cam and no worries. :)

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Both of mine have some pretty serious keyboard marks on the screens. Particularly the 867MHz on the left side. I am pretty sure thats why starting with the AlBooks Apple started putting the little rubber stoppers in the upper corners of the screens. Looks very nice though! Now I found my 867MHz TiBook to feel faster than my old 867MHz 12" Powerbook even though the 12" had faster RAM etc. How do you think your new TiBook compares to your 1GHz 12" machine?

12. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

The mark on my 15" PB is on the upper left quadrant, too. I use a microfiber cloth to cover the keyboard on all of them when I close them.

I have also bought some sick-on pads similar to what you put on the bottom of furniture legs and cut them into small squares. I stick these into the upper corners so they cushion the lid and put enough tension on it that it doesn't feel "loose" when closed. Se the attachment of one of the 12" PBs. I may put a couple of more to either side of the latch, too so there will be no flexing when closed.

Attached Files: