CDMA iPhone in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themman92, Jan 2, 2009.

1. themman92 macrumors newbie

Does anyone think that at some point down the road after the AT&T deal is over Apple will create a CDMA iPhone for cellular companies such as Verizon Wireless?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ohhh... prepare to be flamed. You need to follow the rules and search.

Normally it'd be me doing it, but I'll just tell you now... NO. :D

CDMA is dead-end tech. Everything will be LTE in two years. There would be no benefit to doing it.

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

Here's a fair and honest answer: No one here has any idea. There is nothing to indicate they will, so far. It would be the best kept secret on earth anyway. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion about it, including a lot of speculation and flames. Enjoy.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Here's a pretty good idea: of the hundreds of major phone companies in the world, 2 use CDMA. And those 2 are planning on moving on and transitioning their networks eventually.

So once the AT&T deal runs out (in what, 3 more years?) how important will it be to support Verizon's "old network" at that point?

Remember, this is the company that just took firewire out of their consumer laptops! I don't see them supporting CDMA at any point.

5. themman92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't realize Verizon was retiring the CDMA network...what does that mean for its customers? I got a BlackBerry Curve 3 weeks ago are we all going to have to upgrade our equiptment?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. Weren't you planning on doing that, anyway?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You've got a few years. I doubt you'll still have that phone any more. Remember, it will be like AT&T's EDGE adn 3G networks. They'll have both for awhile before shutting the old one down. I doubt their old network will be turned off for many, many years.

The point is that if Apple ever supports Verizon, they'll target the newer network instead of worrying about the old one. That's just the Apple way.

8. themman92 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes that makes sense...I just hadn't realized that they would be doing away with the CDMA network in the near future

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

"A couple of years" would be a better fit than "near future". Obviously there's millions of users on CDMA devices. It will be a while before those networks can be retired, especially since the major carriers still using CDMA right now won't have any full scale LTE networks running for at least 2 years.

Here's some reading to keep you busy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

10. firewood macrumors 604

It took around 10 years after GSM first started becoming popular until the US telcos completely retired analog cell phone service last year. So even though CDMA will start being deemphasized in a couple years, it may not be completely turned off for quite awhile.

But in any case, I don't see Apple starting to support a fading older phone standard that will already be being gradually replaced by around the time their exclusive AT&T deal expires.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm willing to bet someone's mom has a CDMA phone.

CDMA iPhone confirmed.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

LTE does NOT necessarily replace CDMA or GSM

Verizon has never said they're retiring their CDMA network.

It's quite possible that both they and ATT will only use LTE for high-speed data, and continue to use their highly invested GSM and CDMA voice networks for many years to come.

13. firewood macrumors 604

CDMA iPhone in the past

Somewhere in Apple engineering, there's probably a few old CDMA iPhone prototypes. But they're probably on several huge circuit boards in big ugly toaster-sized boxes.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

lol

Yeah like Apple using EDGE in their first model, instead of 3G.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If that was sarcasm, my answer is "battery reasons", just like Apple.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple left out 3G to keep the cost/price down, and to get the initial $20 data rate from ATT.

Using battery as an excuse was very clever, since it certainly is valid. However, it was still valid a year later.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Oh you kill me haha! Well played!

18. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Same thing happening up in Canada. Bell and Telus are now upgrading their infrastructure to move to the next generation GSM system. CDMA was a North American invention that never caught on elsewhere and is due to be phased out...

19. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The next person who asks about CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) iphone will have to sleep with one eye open, because I will come after you.

I propose that this question be banned from the forums.

Don

20. bradthomas macrumors newbie

Why Not?

I don't understand the animosity toward a CDMA iphone. :confused:

I would love to have a iphone on Sprint with a simply everything plan for 99 bucks a month. :D

Every time i pay my AT&T bill I feel like I have to break out the lube so it doesn't hurt as bad. :eek:

21. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010