CDMA phone transfer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Dec 2, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

could someone clear up something for me, as far as I know there is no way to bring a Sprint Iphone over to VzN and vice versa, but you can buy an "unlocked" CDMA phone to either place?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

pretty sure that sprint has it's own deal. only sprint phones will work on their network. locked or unlocked is irrelevant.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

but vzn phones you can take anywhere after they are unlocked?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the box, regardless of whether you bought them on or off contract. You can use them on AT&T or T-Mobile without a problem, provided that they have support for their bands. All Verizon iPhones 5 and up work with AT&T and T-Mobile's voice and 3G networks. The 5c and later versions work with AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE networks. With the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, even the AT&T and T-Mobile versions will work with a valid Verizon SIM, though they show up as "unknown" and unsupported devices.

Whether you can use the Verizon iPhone on another CDMA carrier depends on whether or not they will provision the phone on their network. Most other regional CDMA carriers in the US have roaming agreements with Sprint, and so they might not provision a Verizon phone.

5. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You can take it to any GSM carrier, such as AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint won't activate it though.

6. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

and a 4s on Vzn you can only use on any other CDMA networks?

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I believe that is the case.

8. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My understanding is that Verizon will not, just like Sprint, unlock a 4s or a 4.

Also, Sprint has a policy of not activating any phone they did not sell or that was not meant for their network. So, maybe you can take your phone to Sprint, but Sprint won't activate it.