cdma vs gsm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cuneyd, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Cuneyd macrumors member

im planning on buying the sprint iphone 4s tomorrow at-store. can someone give me the pros and cons of cdma with iphone? lets say i go overseas can i still use it since it has both gsm and cdma?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use it over seas. But the iPhone 4S on a CDMA network will be slower then on a GSM network. 3.1Mbps vs 14.4Mbps.

3. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

but say if i jailbreak and unlock it can i put any other sim card in it and will it work?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, if a jailbreak and an unlock is ever found for the 4S.

5. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

thanks btw im under 18 so do i have to go with someone who is older than 18 there tomorrow?

6. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

GSM allows for voice and data transmission at the same time, along with this, GSM is supported all around the world.

CDMA on the other hand is far less supported, does not allow simultaneous voice and data, but, it does provide better call quality.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe so and the phone would have to be in the adult's name. But if you're on a family plan, the account hold (parent or equivalent) will have to go with you.

8. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

not true, you just need a credit card to pay and no the account holders last 4 digits of their SS#. Ive always gone myself in store for the past 3 years and never need my mom their. btw I'm 20 though so idk if age changes anything.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Also you can take up to ten calls at once and do conference calls on AT&T. You cant on CDMA.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

GSM (at&t): Faster data in the US. (up to 14mbps)
    CDMA (sprint or verizon): Better building penetration (due to the nature of the modulation) However your speeds may be slower (only up to around 2mbps)

To be honest, on a phone it doesn't make that big a deal. However, if you plan to tether, right now the AT&T GSM phone is the better option as your speeds will be better overall.

Also some people claim Verizon/Sprint have better data coverage in certain places, but this is so location dependant you can't listen to them at ALL unless they live on the same *block* as you.

Good luck with your choice!

11. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

ok so if i get my sisters (shes over 18) credit card and ss# i can get the phone without her?

----------

12. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

You can not legally sign a contract until you are 18, which is what you do if you are upgrading because you are technically re-signing the 2 year contract. So yes, definitely bring an authorized user from the account (yes there can be multiple on an account) that is over 18. I ran into this problem with the iPhone 4 last year after waiting in line for 8 hours.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They won't let you sign on someone else's credit card - unless they're morons.

Then again, having seen the quality of people they hire at the various carrier stores - go for it, might work :p

14. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

ouchh-- i guess she'll have to go for me then :p

-if i dont get it tomorrow when will they restock, or when will it become available again, right now i have a samsung a107 with no key buttons keep that in mind thats why i need one asap...im makin all my calls through google phone :(