cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kepptone, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kepptone macrumors newbie

I believe my Macbook has it because the little "Allow/Deny" box described in the sites that come up if you Google-Search "cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net virus" came up on my screen 2 days ago, and things haven't worked quite right since then. I know "things" isn't at all specific, but it's nothing consistent: mostly all is well and working as before, but occasionally something doesn't work the way it should or at all. From what I've read on the websites talking about the adamaihd.net virus, my Book is infected. I've searched some of the available Mac Virus removal softwares for sale to see if they recognize it, but no luck.

Any suggestions as to which Mac Virus protection/removal software would work best on this? I know that Mac viruses are supposed to be very rare, but my Book is itching and scratching and acting poorly.

Thanks.

Kepptone

2. jeremysteele, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Few things:

A) its not a virus. Its just an advertising tracker (adware/trojan, but not a true virus).

B) What browsers have you tested?

C) Check this. For windows - but browser extension removal instructions for chrome/ff will apply.

However, I haven't heard of the one you mentioned (cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net ) being an issue on os x. Instead, there's another one. . Could be that one instead? Or the one you got is newer? Still - remove instructions will be similar.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Restart your Mac! It is probably just a DNS problem. Some proxy servers change the DNS cache on your machine, which means your machine blocks the access to certain sites. I had this problem with a chinese proxy server. In my case a restart fixed the problem. See also:
    http://www.yourprivatevpn.com/dns_poisoning_en

4. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Steele and Mr. Retrofire:

Thank you both very very much for your on-point Replies. I've tried to accomplish your instructions, but still have a few questions.

First, I am new to the MacWorld--25 years of looking out the same Windows only gave me one small (well, not so small) view of CompuLife.

By the way, my Mac is a early-2011 13" MacBook Pro, OSx 10.9.4 (or maybe 10.9.7--I think it's been updated several times), 2.7 gig i7 processor. I don't know if these specs help with your answers, but I enjoyed finding them. Would System Report be helpful in tracking down this adware? It seems to have a lot of valuable, airbook-specific information.

Mr. Steele, in reference to your (A), (B), [C) bullets:
    (A) Several of the sites I looked at called it a "virus." I really don't know what distinguishes a virus from malware, adware, trojans, etc. (if there is an etc.).

(B) Safari is the only browser I've used on my Mac.

(C] (I need to figure out how to get rid of the auto-speller that changes "c" in parentheses to a copyright mark) Should I install Google Chrome and do what's suggested in the instructions?

Also, should I install the ADWcleaner, Malwarebytes, and Hitman programs to get rid of the akamaihd malware? I dislike installing anything that I absolutely can't live without simply because of this excess baggage issue. I always use custom installation whenever I download, but this slipped in anyway.

Mr. Retrofire:

Thanks for your Reply. I've Restarted the airbook, and now I know what a DNS is, and that it can be poisoned. Do you use "YourPrivateVPN" on your Mac?
    I don't yet know how to enter commands on the Mac terminal, so I haven't deleted the DNS-cache. I'll look for instructions on how to do that.

I haven't seen the akamaihd pop-up for a few days, and it never showed up every time I started a new browser tab, and start a lot of new tabs.

Again, thank you both. What are your respective MacLife backgrounds? From the Forums, magazines at the bookstore, the many, many Mac websites, etc. I realize I've entered a world that never ends--MacWorld, a glittering planet in the Apple Multiverse. Don't know why it makes the view from Windows seem sort of drab, but it does.

kepptone

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you got some adware/malware installed on there. Look in Safari preferences under the extensions tab and remove any extensions for there.

Then download and run this adware removal tool. Let us know what it finds.

For the C key issue open System Preferences then go to the Keyboard panel and in this screen remove the C entry you want to get rid of by selecting it then clicking the minus at the bottom.

[​IMG]

6. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Controlling which apps open at start-up

I'm sure this is a very basic question which I should have been able to find the answer to easily with a Search of the Forum, but apparently I was unable to be specific or clear enough in my Search criteria.

Also, my MacBook has gotten slower and slower. I'm starting to see the colored pinwheel that shows up when it's chugging along trying to open or connect to something. I've installed the Chrome Browser, the adware removal kit you suggested, MacBooster, and the Sophos anti-virus software. Those are the only changes I've made to this machine since I got it a year ago. It's always been very-very to extremely fast: almost instant "yassuh" to my wishes and commands.

Anything you can offer I gladly and thankfully accept.

I just realized that this isn't on-topic to the thread--if that's a Forum violation, please let me know, and also how to not repeat the no-no.

kepptone

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then down the free program EtreCheck and run it. If it shows a program or service that us in Red then manually throw that incompatible service in your Trashcan and delete it. Then immediately reboot your Mac while pro-forming a Reset of NVRAM. Then after doing this reboot again to rebuild your startup/shutdown cache.

8. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Satcomer:

I ran the Entrechek and the only thing in Red was "Time Machine not configured!", which makes sense because I haven't yet attached an external HD and this is the first I've heard of the Time Machine feature.

Man, I love this Forum--it's a good schooling every time I post a question.

Should I still reboot and reset the NVRAM?

Thanks.

kepptone

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

IMHO one should do the reset NVRAM about every three months if they connect & disconnect drives all the time. This will help reset the ports in your Mac.

10. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset NVRAM

Your humble opinion is good enough for me. It concerns me a little that the NVRAM reset directions on Apple Support warn about possible dire things happening, but then most drugs that are good for you also have killed and maimed a very few people.

I'm feeling lucky.

Thanks

kepptone

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did the adware tool report finding anything evil?

I would remove both MacBooster and consider swapping Sophos (that runs all the time in the background) in favor of a simple on demand type virus scanner like ClamXAV.

Start Disk Utility and do a verify disk. Does that show any disk errors?

12. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk Utility etc.

Adware didn't find anything evil, and Disk Utility is says everything is A-Okay. I got rid of Sophos and MacBooster, and will download ClamXAV instead.

When I say my Mac is slower, it's still way faster than the Windows laptop we use here also. Way.

Thanks for your reply and advice. Every reply increases my MacKnowledge, and I'm grateful for them all.

kepptone

13. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Apology, but with thanks

When I originally posted this Thread I left out one very important piece of information: The heading on the small screen that popped up within the tab I had open in Safari was "Adobe Flash Player Settings Local Storage." That small screen included a Help (? in a circle) button, which took me to "http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help06.html#117626." And that site explains what these little screens that seem to randomly pop up on my Safari tabs are all about.

I apologize to everyone who responded to this Thread for leaving out that vital clue, but I repeat my thanks to all Responders because I learned so much from your replies about Macs and my MacBook in particular.

I believe it's okay to always Allow the flash player to allocate more space, correct? Do you know of any instances of a virus or adware or other foreign bad object riding into town on one of these Flash Player space shots?

I will try to be more careful and thorough in the future. Once burned twice shy, and the burn's still stinging.

kepptone

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Assuming this is a web page you intentionally visited and you do want to allow that page to use Flash, yes it is okay to allow that request and it won't hurt anything.

15. kepptone thread starter macrumors newbie

Flash allow/deny

As I said, I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but I sure learned a lot from everybody's answers to my misguided question.

Why "Weaselboy"? Fond family nickname? Tried to get out of something once too often? Your admiration and/or ownership of minks, stoats, ferrets, and polecats? Whatever, it's a good and memorable handle.

kepptone

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Plus with the Flash Player System Preference pane one can delete the Flash cookies Flash gets when visiting Flash sites.