CDR Burning Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tonya99, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Tonya99 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm a new user to this forum and wonder if anybody could please help with a problem I have with my (now very old it seems) G5 Mac.

I have issues with burning CD-Rs. It seems to be pot luck whenever I buy a pack of CDRs whether they will work or not. DVDs are fine but CDs is a nightmare.

I've found over the years that Sony seem to provide the best performance but I've now bought two lots of 50 and none of them work at all. Verbatim have never worked but Sony always used to seem pretty good. I actually found I had a couple of old Sony ones and they worked perfectly and burnt with no problem. None of these new Sony ones seem to work though.

I should point out that they do burn at 12x higher, but I need these CD-Rs to be 8X or less. The Mac tells me they can burn at 8x and 4x on the "about this mac" but they just will not burn. Do Sony CDRs generally only work at high speeds now? If so, what is a good make for burning at lower speeds?

Many thanks.:)

2. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Is there any particular reason why you want to burn your discs at lower speeds?

3. Tonya99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Sorry, I should have explained that. I buy a lot of music, CDs or LPs usually but occasionally online (a lot of bands seem to release mp3s rather than CDs now). So when I buy online I like to burn them to CD to back them up and also so I can load them on to my JB7 Brennan machine so I can play them. It won't accept CDs burnt any higher than 8X though, I generally found that the Sony brand will work on 4X, 6X or 8X fine (in fact I did a backlog of about 15 a few weeks back), but none of the new batch of Sony will do it at all. I was advised that Verbatim are the most reliable but none of them worked either!

It's driving me insane!

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

After googling what a "JB7 Brennan" was,
    I see it will take an iPod as an input source, which seems to me to be the way-to-go when it comes to loading digital music.

5. Tonya99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have explained what that was as well. Only the new Brennans take iPods. It does take a USB device but when you load the tracks on they go out of order and the quality doesn't seem to be as good.

I'm guessing maybe Sony don't make their CD-Rs the same way anymore and they are now designed for high speed burn rather than slow?