CD's that came with my MB, can be used +1 times?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aven SkyGazer, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

After I bought my new MB, I left my old white one off to the side. Now, I would like to pass it down to my little sis. I want to give her a brand new MB - just as it is out of the box.

I was told that the CD's that came with that MB (the OS X cd's, I think they are?) can do just that. Right?

Well, I lost the CD's that came with that white MB, but I have the ones my alum-unibody MB came with.

Can I use the ones that came with my new MB on my old one? and if so, can they be re-used on my new MB if I ever need em'?

Thanks for any feedback

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He,

I believe that some of what you say can and some can't. The CD's that come with your mac are mac specific. So your macbook pro cd won't work with the white macbook. However you can use your cd's with your macbook pro alu to infinity. They're just mac related.

However, when you buy a the os dvd in the store, it isn't mac related (it will work on any, supported, mac). E.g. on my iMac, my Mac Pro, Mac mini and macbook Pro (I don't even need a family pack for that, but that would be illegal).

So no, you can't use it on your old macbook. Yes, you can use it multiple times (on your new macbook).

You could try call apple and ask if they could send the specific discs. (say it still runs tiger, every white macbook came with tiger, at least those only a few years old, so when you ask those cd's it not that you can sell them through, a reason for apple to believe you).

You could (when you have leopard on the older macbook) buy snow leopard. It's only 30 dollar. (you could even ask 30 dollar from your sis).

3. Aven SkyGazer thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clear up what your confused about (so that I may recieve an accurate answer :) ) I desire to use the cd's my alum-unibody 13'' mackbook (no pro) on my old white macbook.

My previous white macbook is running leopard. So, do you think it may be done?

also, great idea about SL. as a sub-question, may I buy SL for my uni-alum MB and then turn around and use it on my white MB too? :D that'd be great.

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

No, you can't. The CDs are designed to only work on the specific model that that they shipped with.

You can install it on several machines but it is a violation of the software's license and would be of questionable legality.

5. Aven SkyGazer thread starter macrumors regular

ah