CDs won't read, optical drive spits them out

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TheBeastman13, Aug 10, 2014.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

Ive had problems lately with my optical drive. and i need to have my CD read to complete a wedding video(the vows were recorded onto a cd by the DJ).

Okay, so for ****** and giggles I tried testing my optical drive with different media. All my DvDs (I tried 10) load via DvD Player after about five seconds of reading. BUT, and it's just my luck because I need to use a CD for a wedding project, the CD-R won't read. The CD tries for 20 sec to read, but was spat out. I tried my Grateful Dead CD, thinking a professionally authored disc would read, but nope, that CD was spit out too.

So maybe my optical drive isn't as messed up as I thought. Any thoughts as to why CDs are now the only disc to be spit out?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

CD requires a different focal lens than DVD. Could be a mechanical failure of the CD lens.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You've been putting up multiple posts over the past few days regarding the DVD/CD drive (it's in a MacBook, right?).

If you've tried cleaning the lens using a cleaning disc, to no avail, then you probably have to think about either:

1. replacing the internal DVD/CD drive
    or
    2. getting an EXTERNAL USB DVD/CD drive.

#2 might be your best option, you can find external USB-powered drives in the $20 range these days. Much less trouble than opening the case and trying to swap out the internal drive, less cost as well...