Ceiling airplay speakers?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by radiologyman, Oct 26, 2014.

1. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Hello, I am looking for several sets of built in ceiling speakers that should be airplay compatible. I got an airport extreme and portable but I would like to get advise on remaining hardware

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I'm not familiar with in-ceiling speakers with AirPlay built-in. But my setup uses conventional in-ceiling speakers that terminate at a stereo receiver in the basement. An Airport Express connected to the receiver provides the AirPlay function.

3. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

This set up will work for me. I understand that one can mix and match but I would like an advise on cost effective set up as I would need 4 different areas to receive conventional ceiling speakers. Will I need 4 separate amplifiers and airports?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

The cost, of course, will be determined by your needs. Do you want multiple zones? My desire was to have all the common areas driven by the same source. So I only use one stereo reciever and a speaker switch (it can handle up to 4 speaker sets). And then a single Express connects to the reciever. This is the simplest and least expensive set up in my opinion.

Typically the more zones you want the more expensive the set up can get.

5. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you change the the switch wirelessly?

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Provided your Apple TV is connected to your receiver via optical cabling or HDMI you can use whichever speakers you like.

You don't need Airplay specific speakers, in fact, no such thing exists.

7. Madmic23, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Check out Home Theater Direct.

They sell multi-zone amplifiers that will handle this. You can get a 6 zone amp and run all of your speaker wire to it in the basement (or where ever your central location is). Hook up an AirPort Express as a source, and you're good to go. You can choose a system with keypads in the wall in each room (which turns the system on/off and controls the volume for that room) or you can choose a system without keypads where everything is controlled from an app on your phone. The only disadvantage of this method is you'll have to use two apps, one to turn on the system, and then one to control your music for AirPlay.

I took a long look at Home Theater Direct when I was planning my whole home audio solution, but I eventually went with Sonos as it is more flexible and I liked the interface better.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

My Klipsch G17 is Airplay only (well, Airplay and wired).

9. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Then they are wired speakers which returns to my point, you can use anything as Airplay speakers provided your receiver can handle them.

10. marzer, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Nope it's just a simple four pair switch. http://www.smarthome.com/hts4-speaker-selector.html

The arrangement is:

Time capsule --> airport express --> Sony receiver --> HTS4 --> in-wall speaker volume control --> in-ceiling speakers.

The TC, AE, HTS4 are in a storage room in the basement level. All speaker wires distribute out around the house from that room.

All speakers pairs are permanently left in an on state at the HTS4 because they are controlled individually using the in-wall volume control switches. I have a headless Mac mini on the network that's hosts a iTunes library. Using the apple remote app, music or playlists can be selected using iPhone or iPad.