Celebrity pictures in apps

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by oracle123, Jul 3, 2009.

1. oracle123 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

This question might sound like a noob. Can we use celebrity pictures in our apps? What are the implications?

Thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you took the picture, then probably. If not, the picture still belongs to whoever did take it, I'd have thought.

3. oracle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you use pictures found on the net and you give credit, will Apple approve the app?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not exactly "up" on copyright laws. I'd have thought it depends on the licensing terms the site/source you acquire the image from spells out.

I don't know, I'm not an iPhone dev or a photographer (or a lawyer!)...maybe someone else can help...

5. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

If you're taking the picture from a website, then the picture will likely be copyrighted, to either the site, or the photographer, or even possibly the celeb themself. Unless the picture is explicitly described as royalty or copyright free, then you have to assume it isn't (and since it is a picture of a celeb, it most likely won't be).

You will need to ask wherever you are taking picture from for the rights to use it, and they are perfectly within heir rights to charge you a fee to do so.

Your only other option is to go out with your own camera, and take a picture of the celeb in a public place. It has to be a public place for you to be able to take their picture legally without asking them (at least, that's how that part of the law works in the UK, if I remember correctly).

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Even if they do the original copyright holder can sue you as you have stolen their property.