Cell # and SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texas_Toast, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

How do telephone numbers work when you buy a new iPhone?

For instance...

1.) Will I be given a cell # when I buy the phone?

2.) Can I request what cell # I want? (For example, I am out of state on a family emergency, but I want a tele # that is my area code and exchange back home, but I won't be going home for a long time.)

3.) Currently I use VOIP, so is there a way to take one of my VOIP tele #'s (called DIDs) and map that to my new iPhone?

4.) How is your cell # related to the SIM card?

I have become spoiled using VOIP, because I have so much more flexibility than you'd ever have with a landline of the major telecom providers. Even though I live in Texas, I can buy a tele # for Maine in a matter of seconds, and in a few minutes have a "local" Maine telephone # even though I might be physically in North Dakota and still living in Texas.

I am trying to figure if I can maintain that flexibility when I get an iPhone.

Oh, by the way, I will either use Cricket or AT&T as my provider so I can use the iPhone to send adn receive text messages for my mobile-friendly website development business that I am starting.

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You carrier might be able to give you the area code you want but you can not specify the exact number unless you already have it.

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

If I buy an iPhone from Apple and I sign up for service at a Cricket in North Dakota, how would I request that a tele # that I already own with my VOIP service be used?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You will need to ask Cricket. Much has to do also if your VOIP service will release the number. Sorry I can not help more.

5. newellj macrumors 601

AFAIK, VOIP providers are not subject to mandatory porting. You should google this and talk to your wireless provider.

6. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Oh, I thought it would be the other way. I thought I would port the number from Cricket to my VOIP. But I guess that doesn't make sense since my VOIP doesn't offer texting.

So I would need to port over my preferred number from the VOIP to Cricket, huh?

And, yes, my VOIP has no issues porting out a number.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

This has nothing to do with Apple, and everything to do with your cell carrier. It doesn't matter if your VoIP carrier can be ported, but rather the carrier you want to port to has the ability to port from that carrier. This is why many numbers may be ported to Verizon for instance, but not T-Mobile.

The cell number is not tied to your iPhone, it's tied to the SIM card from your carrier that your iPhone reads.

8. numpsy macrumors regular

You need to merge all of your iPhone questions in one post, its becoming redundant.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Based on all the threads he has started, I am thinking no....Not that there is anything wrong with that....I am sure he's just young and anxious.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

My A friend from work has voip line at home.

He had until recently an iphone and just installed the voip app for his voip provider.
    As long as he had wifi or 3g/4g coverage he could get his voip calls on his phone via the voip app.

Of cource this ment he needed a contract with a fair amount of data for when he was without wifi.

does OP voip carrier have an iphone app?

My friend now has android and has the app on his android phone.