Cell booster recommendation

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TyWahn, Feb 8, 2008.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

My iPhone has terrible reception at my home — even though I am in "good" surrounded by "best" on the coverage map —*and it is our primary phone. It is pretty much useless to even try to have a conversation.
    I have seen mentions of cell repeater/boosters and wanted to know if somebody has first-person experience with one.

Thanks as always.

2. iTiki macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, had to go outside to get good cell reception. Solved the problem by installing a zBOOST YX510 repeater. How you set it up inside (finding the sweet spot for the base unit) will greatly effect its performance. Once dailed in, it works perfectly. I now have good recpection throughout my house and no dropouts. Bought it on Amazon for about $280.

Mike

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Thanks Mike. I was looking at that the 500 which is the PCS model working in the 1900 Mhz range ... It is only $200.
    I will go with that unless there is a reason to get the 510 which works in 800-1900 Mhz.
    Thanks again for your reply.

4. daigled macrumors newbie

hey there, glad I found this thread ... I'm also having a problem with the reception of my iPhone. Right now I am stationed at a military base in MS and the rooms are like cell blocks. When I go outside of my room I have signal, but when I'm inside it, I have zero reception.

I was looking at the suggestions made here in this thread, specifically at the http://cgi.ebay.com/zBoost-YX500-PC...ryZ20380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How do I know this will work with my phone? I'm not sure what I need to be looking for, as far as Mhz requirements etc.

Also, could either of you give me a short, short of how these things work? Just plug in to an outlet and that's it?

Sorry for so many questions

5. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I've had my iPhone since day one and I love it. However, I may have to ditch it because I do the vast majority of my work at home now and my house is essentially in a dead zone for at&t. I normally get 0-1 bars but on occasion, and in the "sweet spot," I get 2 - occasional 3 bars.

Here are my questions......

1. Will any of these advertised reception boosters work in my situation?
    2. I have a 1st generation iPhone. Might I get better reception with a 3G?

I hope there is a workaround that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg because I *really* don't want to go to Verizon and give up my iPhone.

Thanks!