Cell data default

Onecall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Is there an app that can auto switch cell data to WiFi at home ?
Is it even possible to write an app for this?
it is one app I’d be motivated to pay for,,
I’ve squandered countless hours of cell data needlessly
Just asking.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Just keep WiFi turned on. My iDevices default to the WiFi connection when available.

If you don't want certain apps to use cellular data, just do this in Settings > Cellular Data on a per-app basis.

On my iPhone cellular data is turned off for all streaming video apps as well as App Store. It's easy to do especially since the apps are listed in order of cellular data usage.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Under Settings, Cell Data, do you have WiFi calling turned on? Also, when you're at home and in close proximity to your router you should automatically be using WiFi to make calls, play Arcade, etc. I have unlimited cell data but still use WiFi when at home for everything.

Onecall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Thanks, Tons, you’ve answered the unasked question,

I had settings set to leave streaming ect open or on to cell data

and It reminds me to ask,

iIn addition to giving away data do you think it can slow down the phone?

I’ve had new fiber optic line installed by ATT directly from their hub to my Apt.

I’m paying for their 1000 or fastest service

But it still feels slow, are there any other settings I should look at ? or junk I can remove from the phone ??

Reactions: compwiz1202

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
I have no idea about what "junk" [sic] you should remove since A.) I have zero knowledge about what your individual usage case is with your phone, B.) you didn't bother to list everything that you have on your phone, C.) you don't mention what phone you have, and D.) you don't mention the iOS version either.

It's up to you to decide which apps you need on your phone. No one here can tell you how to use your phone. It's YOUR phone. If you want to spend twelve hours a day playing Candy Crush Saga, diddling with Facebook or watching YouTube, no one here cares.

I turn off Background App Refresh for almost everything. There's a third-party Google Voice app that I let refresh in the background as well as the Wipr content blocker. That would be like running the A/C and the rear window defroster with the windows down.

There is nothing else that I will silently let chew up CPU cycles or network bandwidth.

Are you a brand new iPhone user?

None of these tips are what I would call secret knowledge or crazy mega-wizard hacker tricks.

For what it's worth, my home Internet connectivity is a ghetto 1.5 Mbps DSL line.

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Thanks, Tons, you’ve answered the unasked question,

I had settings set to leave streaming ect open or on to cell data

and It reminds me to ask,

iIn addition to giving away data do you think it can slow down the phone?

I’ve had new fiber optic line installed by ATT directly from their hub to my Apt.

I’m paying for their 1000 or fastest service

But it still feels slow, are there any other settings I should look at ? or junk I can remove from the phone ??
Router has to support Gbit speeds. Depending on which iPhone, they each have a max Wifi speed. And the max speeds are just possible, not real world. Gbit is better for multiple devices so everyone can get a decent speed.