Cell Modems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boazjoe, Jun 17, 2008.

1. boazjoe macrumors member

I am thinking of getting a USB cell modem for my MBP. I briefly had an early alltel modem but did it did not work well. A buddy has current generation sprint and likes it.

I have heard that there are at least 2 different protocols (for lack of better word) that cell companies use. For this purpose, is any one brand better than the others?

Joe

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Sprint offers an express card modem for macs. We don't offer much support for it. I believe one of the usb modems we offer also works on the mac. I'm not entirely certain about it though. The express card one works well, when I played with it in training.

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Just get an unlimited data plan and tether it with bluetooth.

4. boazjoe thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand this. How do I tether it?

5. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Tsice is, I believe, recommending you purchase a phone that can be used to "tether" via a USB cable (or Bluetooth) as a modem, rather than purchasing a card.

In regards to the protocol question. There are 2 network types in the US. CDMA which Sprint, Verizon and Alltel (and other more local networks) use. And GSM which AT&T and T-Mobile use. The choice depends most on your primary area of usage. CDMA uses EVDO for their 3G data network, while At&t uses whats called HSDPA (T-Mobile hasn't upgraded to a 3G network yet). EVDO has been around a little bit longer and thus is more widely available, at least in the US. If you plan on traveling to Europe, GSM would be the way to go, as GSM is practically the only network type used outside of the US.