Cell number portability (LNP)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maxington, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

If I am looking to transfer from Verizon to AT&T do they have to transfer my cell phone number? Can someone clarify what restrictions there may be or why I would not be able to transfer my number?

Thanks,

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

At&t should have a screen that asked you if you are porting a number. The carriers work it out on their end.

3. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

yep it only gets more complicated than what was said in the post above if you are porting a land line number to cellular.

I did that when I got my iPhone, and had to wait almost 2 weeks before I could unlock it. It was agony!

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You will have no problems at all as long as the information (name/address)you are using to sign up with AT&T matches what you used for Verizon. As long as it's a match the transfer is automatic and will port in 30 minutes or less. Sometimes far less as in a matter of minutes.

If there is a mismatch then the porting department at AT&T has to jump in and make the necessary corrections for Verizon's porting department and work the transfer out.

I did a Verizon to AT&T port and it went just fine.

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i just switched from verizon to at&t a week ago and they could not port my number...i think it's mostly b/c i recently moved and the phoenix at&t store couldn't port my northern cali cell phone numbers. not a huge deal, but a PITA nonetheless. still, for the majority of switchers, i think the number portability should be no problem...

6. iPhelim macrumors regular

Ha! I thought the 30 minute estimate was like a joke, it took O2 and Virgin Mobile 9 days to transfer my number, but i could use the phone in that time.

7. meatybonez macrumors newbie

As long as you're not changing your address...or transferring a land line number you should have no problems...takes about a half-an-hour to start receiving calls...but you can make calls and use EDGE right as it is activated. Plus Verizon's Early Termination Fee is now prorated I had about 10 months left and I only paid $120 ETF...

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Well, that puts you in the UK. That's not exactly the same thing.

9. elmo151 Guest

definitely YES

there may be some hiccups along the way. don't hesitate to call at&t

10. heyp macrumors 6502

will at&t port an out of area cell number? i'd really like to keep my number but have since moved cities

11. boch82 macrumors 6502

yes...it was a problem with att since they had to create an account for me in the boston area and then transfer the boston account to a new york account but they were able to port the number. Took about 2 hours.

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I do quite a bit of landline porting for people... There is one rule that applies to all porting:

Do not, under any circumstance, cancel your account with the previous provider.

When you ask AT&T to port (via iTunes or in person) they will let Verizon know and Verizon will send you your final bill including any early termination fees. If you cancel your account with Verizon before the porting, your phone number is released into the pool. Once it's released, there is no guarantee of keeping your number.

13. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I had no issues on iDay. I not only ported my number but also had just moved from WA to KY and I still maintain the same phone number with no issues. My port and activation was 15 min.

I think you will find a different answer for different users.

Good Luck and enjoy your iPhone!

14. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Port from family plan?

I'm planning to buy an iPhone when the 3G model is released. I've been here and on Google this morning trying to find more information on porting a number from a family plan. Here's my situation:

• Currently with Verizon
    • Account is in my fiance's name
    • My line is the secondary line
    • I want to keep my number and port it to AT&T for the iPhone

From what I've read, the account information has to match to port the number. Has anyone been in this situation? What was the outcome?

If I need to, I can create the AT&T account in her name

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Automatic porting requires that the name and address be the same on the ported number between accounts. If it isn't the port will be rejected by the automated systems for mismatched information. This prevents someone making a typo in the number and accidentally porting someone else's number to the account.

You can do the process through AT&T's porting office. They will have to manually make the transfer occur. There shouldn't be a problem but I'd suggest calling AT&T's porting people to make sure everything is in order before you pull the switch.

16. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Thanks avaloncourt. I'll contact them when the time comes.

The wait for 3G continues...

17. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I had an extremely complicated situation, porting my number from Sprint to AT&T. It took 2 days, but we eventually got everything settled.

I wanted to move from a family plan on sprint to a family plan on THE OLD at&t wireless (didn't think it made much of a difference but apparently it does). Not only that, but I was the primary account on Sprint, but I didn't want to cancel the whole family plan.... just my line... but being the primary number just screwed things up even more. I've gotta give both Sprint & AT&T props though for getting everything straightened out.