Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's largest mobile phone operator said Thursday that it will offer cell phone users a new noise service that it says will repel mosquitoes.

SK Telecom Co. said subscribers can pay 3,000 won (US$2.50) to download a sound wave that is inaudible to human ears but annoys mosquitoes within a range of three feet. Customers can then play the sound by hitting a few buttons on their mobile phones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37000-2003Jul10.html

I guess it operates on a similar principle to the dog whistles. Cell phones excel at repelling other humans so I suppose mosquitos should be no different :p

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
It reminds me the South Park episode when the kids wanted to play the "brown note" in a concert, a tone that would make the people to "do it" in their pants, imagine having a cell phone with that tone and point it to the person next to you:rolleyes:

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Re: Cell Phone as Mosquito Repellent

Originally posted by Durandal7
SK Telecom Co. said subscribers can pay 3,000 won (US$2.50) to download a sound wave that is inaudible to human ears but annoys mosquitoes within a range of three feet. Customers can then play the sound by hitting a few buttons on their mobile phones.

I remember those mosquito-repellant things that claimed to do the same thing (emit a loud, high-pitched, yet inaudible tone to repel mosquitos) .. but I remember it didn't work very well at all. It got rid of some of those pesky bugs but there were always the few that got through. Maybe this one works a little better...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.