Cell phone interference with MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hoffmanl48, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hoffmanl48 macrumors newbie

This has been going on for a while now but maybe someone can figure this out. I have a LG Dare and a 15" MacBook Pro. If the computer is awake, and I place the phone on the bottom right of it where your palm rests, sometimes the left side as well, the computer seems to go into sleep mode but wakes up after a few seconds. I have no other accessory plugged into it other than the charger itself next to the power port. So does anyone have any idea's what might cause this to happen? CDMA/GSM interference? I just wanna know if its coincidental or if there is something going on that causes this problem.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Never heard of cell interference causing a computer to go to sleep. Maybe the phone has some sort of magnet that is tripping the notebook's "the lid is closed" sensor? That's just a shot in the dark though.

Simple solution: don't set your phone on your MacBook Pro. :D

3. magallanes macrumors regular

+1

I think it is real weird.

Can you try with other cellphone?. May be your cellphone is dangerous broken and emitting out-of-the-norm interference.

4. hoffmanl48 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried my dad's blackberry storm and got nothing. My Dare is a few months old but I wouldn't say anything on it is broken. My sister just got one a few weeks ago and I tried hers and it did the same thing :p Idk if its just these phone's in general because of the touch interface or what, but that wouldn't explain why the blackberry didn't set it off.

Its more of an annoyance than anything, and a sort of bad habit I have of setting it on my macbook. I've never seen anything like it before, I also have an HP laptop but it doesn't effect it one bit. Maybe I should just buy an iPhone :D

5. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

6. hoffmanl48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its nothing instant, sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it takes a few minutes. But it does it every time

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

Back when I had an EDGE iPhone, it would dismount my external hard drive if it was too close to it or the cable. It occurred when the iPhone transmitted *anything*, which all phones do periodically even if you aren't using it.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I had this happen once or twice. I can't remember if it was with my MBP or my old laptop, but the phone basically caused the display to shut off for a while when it was placed on the palm rest. I was doing something with bluetooth, probably internet tethering, so it was probably my mac. It's never done it again, mostly because Verizon "upgraded" my plan and tethering or any data transfer now costs $2/mb! It used to be free, using only minutes since this is dial-up networking not broadband. Filling my 1tb drive at that rate would cost $2 million!!!

I could never figure out why the computer shut off, but it was obviously caused by the phone. I tried to repeat it, but I couldn't get it to work. My phone is CDMA, if it matters. I wouldn't worry about it; just don't put the phone too close to the computer any more.

Sorry about the vague post, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one to have this problem.

9. gizmo66 macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem with my MacBook Pro, though I didn't realise the cause until this morning.

Almost every time I rest my blackberry on the lower right hand side of the keyboard (to the right of the trackpad), the computer goes into sleep mode.

I played around a bit to figure out what was happening and here's the trick: whenever the speaker end of the phone (upper half of handset) is placed on the far right side of the case, about 2 inches up from the front edge, the computer goes to sleep. 100% repeatable. If i do the same thing with the keypad end of the phone, or place the speaker end anywhere else on the keyboard or case, nothing happens. Not an engineer, but to me that feels more like a magnet problem than any kind of wireless interference.

The phone is a blackberry pearl. Think the speaker may have a particularly strong magnet, as coins and such are always getting stuck to it.

So now I know why my computer was going to sleep for no apparent reason, but does anyone understand why this happens? Is that where the sensor is that shuts down the computer when you close the clamshell?

10. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That appears to be the sensor that puts the computer to sleep. If you move a piece of metal along the right side of the display, it will stick right in the middle. Placing a magnet at the corresponding position on the body of my MBP made it go to sleep right away.