Cell Phone Numbers Go Public...take your number off the list

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
FYI...

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public next month.

REMINDER.... All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.......... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS
Even if the message is saved on your phone, you will be charged for the minutes to listen to it.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222 .
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.. It takes about 20 seconds.

-iGrant

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Maybe . . . maybe not . . . that page is almost a year old . . . it was last update on December 11, 2008 . . . a lot of things can change in that time frame . . .

-iGrant
Snopes is the best source of information for this sort of garbage and they would update the page if it ever came true.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Urban Legend

RELAX! Your cell phone is safe. :cool:

Are cell phone numbers going public?

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The Troubleshooter office has received several emails recently from viewers asking if cell phone numbers were set to go public this month. The viewers told us that they have received chain emails from friends that have warned them of this and they wanted to know if it was true.

Well, the answer is still no. Cell phone numbers are not scheduled to go into public listings anytime in the near future. However, if you are concerned about telemarketers contacting you on your cell phone, you can register your phone number with the Federal Trade Commission's Do Not Call List by clicking on the highlighted link or calling 1-888-382-1222.

Once you register your number with the FTC, it will never expire and you can file a complaint against a telemarketing company that calls you after your phone number has been registered for 31 days.
Link

The Repeating Panic: Cell Phone Opt Out List
Year after year, many of us receive the panic stricken email swearing that we must act now to keep the telemarketers from calling our cell phones. I cannot keep track of how many times I have received this email in my inbox this past week alone. The email describes the start of a terrible pandemic, if you believe everything that you read. According to the emails, you must call a 1 800 number to opt out from receiving these telemarketer calls.

Therefore, these scam e-mails have been circulating the internet for quite some time. These e-mails have been circulating the internet since 2004. The e-mails claim that the FTC or The Federal Trade Commission has created a telephone number to opt out of the subscriber's individual cell numbers going public.
Link

Snopes treatment of this urban legend/rumor can be found here.

EDIT: You guys are fast, I guess that's what I get for bringing multiple links to the party. Anyway, both of the stories I quoted above are from this year, so it's not old information. Thanks for sharing iGrant, I'm sure you were just trying to help out. Don't be defensive, you're not the first person to get fooled by spam, chain email, or rumor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.