Cell Phone Numbers Go Public...take your number off the list

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGrant, Nov 23, 2009.

1. iGrant macrumors 6502a

FYI...

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public next month.

REMINDER.... All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.......... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS
    Even if the message is saved on your phone, you will be charged for the minutes to listen to it.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222 .
    It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.. It takes about 20 seconds.

-iGrant

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

3. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe . . . maybe not . . . that page is almost a year old . . . it was last update on December 11, 2008 . . . a lot of things can change in that time frame . . .

-iGrant

I just put the information out there . . . do with it what you want . . .

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Snopes is the best source of information for this sort of garbage and they would update the page if it ever came true.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

There's a link under the Additional Information section on that page that goes to an FCC PDF file from 17 Sep 09, so there is some updated info there.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Urban Legend

RELAX! Your cell phone is safe. :cool:

Link

Link

Snopes treatment of this urban legend/rumor can be found here.

EDIT: You guys are fast, I guess that's what I get for bringing multiple links to the party. Anyway, both of the stories I quoted above are from this year, so it's not old information. Thanks for sharing iGrant, I'm sure you were just trying to help out. Don't be defensive, you're not the first person to get fooled by spam, chain email, or rumor.