Cell reception question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Latinking25, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Latinking25 macrumors member

I have cellular data turned off on my iPhone but I constantly see the dots moving on top. Even though it's off is it still searching for signal? Because I think that's why my battery dies so quick.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If those are dots for cellular reception you do not have it turned off.

3. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Cellular data is not the same as signal... that option just prevents your using data, correct? You'd need airplane mode to turn off the phone part if that's your goal.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those dots are cellular signal. The thing used to make and receive phone calls.

5. HEK Suspended

HEK

And yes cell searching and trying to find best phone signal is going on constantly and could be draining your battery more rapidly.

6. Latinking25 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I just found out my house is like a dead zone constantly searching for signal. I put the phone on airplane mode when I can and just use wifi and battery last so much longer. I thought I was going crazy. Thanks guys

7. HEK, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

HEK Suspended

HEK

I suspect a lot of people that report poor battery life are in a marginal reception area. As the radios pump up the gain, they really burn through battery. And if a cell tower goes down all of a sudden battery life get crappy.

Your situation may be worst of all as the phone keeps trying connection between two or more towers boosting signal, switching to another tower, again boosting signal. Using my strong wifi signal at home, and turning off cellular with airplane mode, I have gotten 16 hours of on screen time on my 6s Plus. And another test 13 hrs screen and 105 hrs standby. 6s Plus

8. Paco II macrumors 65816

I'm guessing WiFi calling is not supported by your provider? It's perfect for your situation. If not, possibly a microcell?