cell signal ejects external HD's?!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimedit1, Jun 23, 2007.

1. jimedit1 macrumors member

whenever I get a call, or text near my computer, my external Hard Drives automatically eject "Improper Device Removal". It happened with my laptop, and I just got a nw mac pro, and its happening with it too.

It is very frustrating that I have to move away from my computer in a panic everytime I get any kind of incoming signal...

I asked a mac genius at the store a couple months ago, and she said that it MUST be somthing else. Shes wrong. Its the cell. I thought it would go away when I moved to the desktop. It didnt. I tried to find some information on why this is happening, but there doent seem to be any mention of it on the internet. AM I the ONLY person this happens to?

Can somebody explain why this kind of thing might happen... or even better, if their was some way to fix it?

2. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

try turning off bluetooth on one of the devices (or both) thats all i can think of probably not what is causing it but give it a try

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I really don't think it's possible for the incoming signal that your phone gives off to eject the HD. It could be BT or it could be something else. Is your phone connected to the computer in any way when this happens?

4. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

The blue tooth is off on my phone. I can't turn it off on my computer because I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. But this happened with my laptop which i JUST replaced this past week.

The phone is not connected to the computer in any way.

But EVERYTIME a call or text comes in, if the phone is sitting within 3 feet of the computer or the external HD's, the window pop's up on my screen "Improper device removal... may have been damaged! etc..." Its not a fluke or a guess... its consistant and as you might imagine, really aggrevating.

I gotta tell ya... I am finding it incredible that I can find no precedent for this problem!

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's so weird. I can't even imagine why that's happening. If there's an Apple store near you I'd say go there and show them the problem. Otherwise you may be SOL.

6. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Try a better-shielded USB cable, or toss a ferrite choker on the one you have.