Cellphone help, no iPhone suggestions please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm probably getting a new phone tomorrow and have had my eyes on the RAZR2 (Razr^2?) V8. I just want some opinions on this phone or maybe some other suggestions? I currently user a RAZR V3 and the thing I don't like is how slooow and unresponsive it is, especially webpage loading times. Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Get an iPhone, jokes, what are you going to use your phone for most? Texting, phoning web surfing.. so on

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

If you're locked into a specific carrier, you may want to provide that information as well.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The Blackberry Curve or Pearl look nice to me.

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Mainly text (IM) and surfing. Not really so much for music or video because I have an iPod Touch. I want to use the two devices in conjunction. I would love an iPhone but sadly I can't get it.

I'm living in RSA on the vodacome network, just make a rec. and I'll see if it exists here.

6. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

Go for the current KING of phones on the market

Nokia N95 (or the 8 GB version)

7. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

That thing is a behemoth of note, it really scares me!

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

If your unhappy with your current RAZA, the RAZR2 isn't any better. Moto is way behind on the curve for a NEW cellphone.

9. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I was hoping that the new one would fix my problems, and the advertised features seem good. What do you recommend?

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not compared to the iPhone it isn't. It's no noticeably thicker, longer and just a bit wider than a last-gen Sony Ericsson candybar. Apart from the keyboard issue, the N95 a better phone than the iPhone by quite a margin if you want it to do useful mobile things as opposed to showing people how cool it is.

Of course, this depends on what your mobile needs are. Mine is casual surfing on the phone itself, live contacts / calendar sync with Exchange, media player which isn't tied to a specific piece of software, casual satnav & location services, and as a modem for a paired computer.

11. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Ok, I went to the shop today and have rationed my choices down to two (2) phones,

The Blackberry Pearl 8100
    and the Samsung I600

now I know that the 8100 is slightly outdated as teh 8120 is out but that doesnt bother me.

The deciding factor for me is going to be internet browsing. How do the two compare and, how does the pearl's keyboard work, do you double tap a key to get a specific character?

One more thing, syncing with OS X. Does the samsung not sync with OS X as it uses windows mobile?