Cellphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm due to get a new cellphone next month and I've been reviewing my options.

But first here's a little story:
    I received a V3 RAZR about 1.5 years ago as my new cellphone and while it was good and all it lacked a real music player, memory and lots of other things a cellphone user would want although I did have Opera Mini which was quite nifty. About last month it started having problems with the charger- I would have to wiggle the charger around A LOT before it would start charging and later it just didn't work AT ALL.

So I received my stepdad's old Nokia 9300 which I have grown to love, apart from the fact that it has no vibrate function. I love the web browser and full sized keyboard. the music features aren't that great but at least it has music right?

So the thing is; I'm due for an upgrade next month and the logical thing is to get the E90 because it's the successor of the 9300 right? Wrong! On the contract that I'm on it would cost the equivalent of USD917.56 (R6487 local currency) which is quite a bit, this cost is not the cellphone price It's the Once-off price for the phone which is coupled with a ±USD20 contract per month.

Since I don't really want to downgrade from what I have I don't/can't see another viable choice of cellphone on the market. Unless someone can recommend something?

Thanks!

2. neven macrumors 6502a

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

4. neven macrumors 6502a

Oops... I'm not used to going all CSI on the user's profile to answer their question :)

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It says it right there under his avatar. And, he mentioned local currency, which made me take a look to be sure :D

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

It says 'South Africa' under his avatar.

But anyway, do you need to upgrade? You seem to be content with the phone you have now. If I read your post right, it would be about 900 dollars total, including a contract, which is 2 years? I think you'll have to decide yourself what the price is that you are willing to spend and you'd probably have the phone for a long time.

7. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I forgot to add: I think the iPhone releases here in about feb/mar or @least thats what rumours are saying? Should I maybe wait it out till then?

EDIT: The n800 is an 'internet tablet' not a phone... It's not really pocket friendly is it?
    EDIT2: Yes, the contract is 2x years.

NOTE: My mom will be paying so A phone that I can get for free would be better. I'm unsure of which phones these are but I guess I just want to know what's out there so I have a choice before bringing everything back to the burning question of price.

8. neven macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know.. Looking at that is too much work for me as well :)