Cellular AW4 w/o service plan

jafca09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I am interested in the stainless steel AW4, which are only available in the GPS+Cellular option. I don't think I would pay an additional $10/month to get a cellular service plan, so at that point, I'm paying $300 just for stainless steel — that doesn't quite seem worth it. My question: are there any other features that are available with the SS models that wouldn't be available with the aluminum models? Unlike with the AW3, there doesn't seem to be anything else that's different between the models.

Anything I can do to help myself justify $300 more?

Thanks!

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
the display is also sapphire on the ss watches vs ion x glass on the aluminum watch

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Lilydgg is correct. The only differences are the case (aluminum vs stainless steel), the glass (glass vs sapphire), and the wireless connectivity. I believe everything else is the same.

Good luck.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Opinions? Are those worth +$300?
I'm currently wearing my SBSS that arrived yesterday and I opted to not activate the cellular. I've been wearing Apple Watches for years and have never had a situation where I needed it.

To answer your question, it really comes down to the individual. I've always had Sport models and with the upgrades to the screen, speakers, etc. this year, I feel the extra cost to make the jump to stainless is justified. I also decided not to upgrade my phone this year, which is a first. That helps too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.