Cellular continuity on the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maclaw11, Sep 22, 2015.

1. maclaw11 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've looked around and haven't run into anyone who seems to be having this issue. I have a 6 Plus on Tmobile with iOS 9 and an Apple Watch with watchOS 2. One of the things I am really looking forward to as a result of iOS 9 and Tmobile is cellular continuity. From my understanding, I can now send and receive calls on my other devices even without my iPhone present or turned on. It seems to be working on my iPad on iOS 9; I entered the code and it seems to work. And I presume it'll work on my iMac and Macbook Air once I download 10.11.

I can't seem to get it to work on my watch though. I go to settings > phone > calls on other devices and I see my two macs and ipad, but no watch. I thought maybe after installing watchOS 2, unpairing and re-pairing would work. I unpaired the watch, and sure enough, the watch popped up in the list of other available devices. But it has now disappeared; is it because when I re-paired the watch, I did it from the backup? In the watch app on the phone, I see a setting called wifi calls, which I have enabled, but it hasn't prompted my phone for any code. Is anyone else on Tmobile experiencing this?

2. nivekr11, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

nivekr11 macrumors regular

Did you get this working? i noticed the same thing today for my watch. I am also having an issue with cellular continuity on a 2010 Macbook Pro also.

3. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

Mine only answers calls from the watch when it feels like it. Pisses me off. I can tap the answer button all to no avail. iPhone 6+' iOS 9.0.1, watch os2

4. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I can make calls from my watch but not receive any when my phone is off.

5. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

The phone must be on.

6. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Even with T-Mobile cellular continuity? That's how it works with iPad and El Capitan.

7. rigormortis, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the phone is not required to be on with t-mobile

it may take 2 minutes to wifi calling with handoff to activate.. so if you turn off your iPhone it may take 2 minutes before you can make or receive a call on the watch.

I've been experimenting and it seems each time the iPhone connects to a watch, it gives it all the wifi passwords it knows. and this is how the watch connects to known wifi networks. however the wifi passwords are only stored in ram, if you reboot the watch, all the wifi passwords are gone until it reconnects with the iPhone over bluetooth.

i don't think i got the watch to call out though. but i did get an iMessage through.

i was able to send and receive an iMessage without the phone being on at a different wifi hotspot

voice dictation was not available with iMessage.

when it doubt, wait 2 minutes and try again

wait 2 minutes between each step

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

did u scroll down and verify that the watch was connected to the net on its own? was the watch connected to a wifi network that does not require you to use credentials or click on i agree??

look for the cloud
    the cloud means the iPhone is not around or available and i am connected to a wifi network that i know about

img_0344.jpg

9. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

it is normal for the watch not to show up on settings > phone > calls on other devices

On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi calling is on by default. You don’t need to add it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

10. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

I was told by the Apple Store guy that I could make calls from my watch anywhere on my home network no matter where my phone is. Well that is bull. I have a large wireless net and am on a Verizon phone. I was just down the hall and the phone and watch were connected but I could not complete a call, it kept failing. So does this work or not?