Cellular data count, counts wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Feb 3, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Hi there everyone.

I am changing to another carrier with my iphone 3g, and not buying free data. So I have spent some time testing how much I use averagely.

Today my phone has not been on until I got home to my wifi and I checked the counter a sec ago. It claims I used for 1,6 and 0,4 megs of cellular traffic despite never loosing wifi signal + phone has only been used for push... No browsing orthe like

Enlighten me please?

Thanks!

2. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

It does not count wifi as Cellular Network Data. If you want to prove this to yourself put it in airplane mode then just turn wifi on and surf away.

3. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Thought as much - why my iPhone tells me I spent 1,6megs during wifi use... I dont get it.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

"Push" email constantly talks to the server to keep a connection open.

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well obviously your phone isn't just using WiFi for data transmission. If you're using push e-mail, that'd certainly be a plausible explanation...

6. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

I am sorry, WHY would my phone use the data connection when wifi is up?

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I believe it works like this (but I'm happy for anyone to correct):

If you're connected to power (docked), then the WiFi stays on and is used, even if the phone is asleep.

Otherwise, in battery mode, whenever the phone goes to sleep it turns off the WiFi radio to conserve power, and uses just the cellular data connection.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

kdarling is correct. When the screen locks and goes to sleep you lose wifi. That's why people jailbreak and install Insomnia.