Carrier Cellular Data in use even though I'm in WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Nov 1, 2014.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

I set up my iPad Air 2 with the T-Mobile service in my house today, and I have had the cellular data on, and 1meg of data has been transferred on the cellular network but I have not left my WiFi zone. Does anyone know why this is happening? I've turned off the cellular data for now, but that's kind of a pain to be managing it myself.

Thanks

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Is it possible that you lost WiFi even for a second and it used cellular data during that time. Cause 1mb of use kind of implies that.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

In settings, I usually turn cellular off unless I need it.

4. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I guess maybe that's what's happening. Just kind of annoying that the iPad hasn't left wifi zone, and it's still charging me for data. So I had to turn off cellular data, as suggested above as well.

Although I have a free 200mb before I even get to my 5gb for 5 month plan.

5. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I turn cellular on and off when I leave the house. Bit of a pain but I've read quite a few horror stories about people being charged huge amounts for data when their wifi goes down for a while and they fail to notice.

6. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

iOS doesn't have an always on WIFI option for cellular capable devices. When your iPad goes into deep sleep it will turn off wifi and revert to cellular. So you have to turn off cellular to force it to wifi only.

Windows Phone and Android both have always on wifi settings.

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Isn't the cellular data used for the assisted GPS, even when on wifi?

8. flur macrumors 68000

Is this still an issue if no apps are allowed to run in the background? Is there anything for it to use data for in that case?

FWIW, I found that the amount of data that t-mobile was showing I used on my ipad when left on overnight (with apps allowed to run in the background) was substantially higher than what Verizon shows my iphone uses overnight, which is set up for all apps to run in the background and for push email on three accounts. But I only tested it for one night - after that I turned cellular off on the ipad.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No matter if you are using cellular or not your phone will "bark" at the closest cell tower every once in a while telling it that you are there.

10. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I think the solution is to leave cellular off unless I know I'm going to use it :)

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

From looking at inactive lines at AT&T and Verizon, I noticed that small amounts of data get used daily and add up to a couple of MB per month. Not sure what the data is for (probably sending all your personal info to the carrier, right? :p) but it's possible that's happening with T-Mobile too.

12. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

Core apps like Mail, iMessage and anything that has notifications will still happen over whatever data connection iOS wants them to use.