Cellular data lock not working (or bypassed)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sandrokan, Sep 4, 2014.

1. sandrokan macrumors newbie

sandrokan

Hi
    I have an ipad mini 7.1.2.

I have a free app (game) that has a ads banner on the bottom. It is "2048".
    To avoid wasting cellular data I have blocked it in the settings, see image below.

[​IMG]

However, since the ads keep popping up, I suspected this block does not work.
    So I reset all data volume stats, and in fact you can see that app downloaded 1.6 Mb of data even if it is blocked.

How can it be?

Thanks
    Alex

2. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

This could be why cell phone companies in the US officially won't allow an iPhone without a data plan, just thinking. I would go through and disable "use cell data", app by app, in the settings, that might help.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps the data use associated with ads (iAd and/or other similar systems) is seen as separate usage than the actual app usage itself, even if that usage comes from within the app.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Your cellular data does not appear to be off. On my iphone and ipad when set of off, it says off next to cellular data. Maybe it's the screenshot so you could see that stats, but I don't get if cellular data is off, how it can bypass that setting.

Can you actually toggle cellular data off?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think the idea there is not to turn off all of cellular data, but just a particular application from using cellular data.

6. sandrokan thread starter macrumors newbie

sandrokan

Right. I think the "use cellular data for" list is for that purpose. In fact I see that it works for many other apps (some of those complain about being blocked, when they start).

So, is it a bug in ios or maybe this particular app found a way how to bypass the block so that it can download its advertising?

Alex

----------

I could not understand how it could be:
    1) App "2048" asks for 2 Mb of data, in cellular mode
    2) IOS knows "2048" is blocked -> no data.

or:
    2b) IOS thinks it is not "2048" who is asking for data but, say, "system".
    3) then in the data usage table, 2Mb of data should go to "system".

But what I get is a 3rd case, IOS lets "2048" downloading the data and it knows it is that particular app because, after that, the stats about data usage are correct.