Cellular data Off for secondary iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have a 3GS that I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 4 at launch. Right now, my wife just has a non-smartphone but would like to upgrade hers to an iPhone 4 as well.

So here are my questions:

1) If she gets an iPhone 4, she *has* to choose one of the data plans, right? Specifically, you can't get an iPhone without a data plan, right? She really has no need to use data when she's on the go, but would like to use it on WIFI.

2) Assuming she chooses the cheapest 200MB data plan for $15/mo, could she then go into her iPhone settings and turn off Cellular Data to prevent from going over the 200MB by accident? She is not tech-savy and would have no idea how much data she is using. I'm thinking of getting her the 200 MB plan and then just turning off cellular data when and if she gets close to going over (assuming she'll get a text when she is close).

I know the option is there on the iPhone, but not sure how it works. Will she still be able to get voicemails (assuming this uses data to retrieve Visual Voicemail)?

3) I am planning on sticking with the Unlimited Data plan on MY iPhone 4. Signing her up for the 200MB plan will not affect MY unlimited plan, will it?

Thanks!

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

1) Yes, you must choose a data plan.

2) No, there is no setting currently to turn off data; you can only turn off 3G (leaving edge).

3) Your unlimited plan will have no effect on hers or her 200mb plan an effect on yours.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

2. Yes you will be able to turn off your data. As this is a new feature in IOS 4.0.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I just came back to correct that. I didn't know it was going to have that feature! Woohoo!

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

So AT&T will send you a text when you're close to your limit?

6. pab277 macrumors regular

This is from the AT&T Press Release

"Customer Text Notifications On Data Usage. When customers begin to approach their monthly usage limit, AT&T will send three text notifications – after they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of the threshold. Customers will also be sent emails if AT&T has their email address."

7. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know we can turn off cell data from the phone itself to avoid overages.