'Cellular data off' on Three UK network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daveuk1, Oct 15, 2011.

1. daveuk1 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am planning to use a payg iphone 4s on the Three network in the UK. If I 'turn cellular data off' in the network settings, will I still be able to make voice calls? I've read that Three UK only use the 3g network, so I don't know if that would affect my ability to make voice calls if I turned cellular data off.

Many thanks

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Although three don't have their own 2g network, they still work - or at least they used to - by roaming on Orange.

However, they are turning this off, where they say the 3G signal is strong enough, even if it isn't in reality. Three are cheap, but their customer service is probably the worst in the business, and now the coverage might get worse - Tesco and GiffGaff are now the best option, as cheap as three, but running on O2.

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php...switch-off-have-you-been-affected-your-rights

3. pazz macrumors regular

If you turn cellular data off you can still make calls (even on Three).

Three stopped using Orange's 2G network for a while now. They only used it when they were first starting up in the UK. Now that their 3G coverage is up to scratch they dont need it. Orange's 2G is terrible anyway.

Please explain why you believe Three's coverage might get worse?

----------

I have been on O2, Voda and now Three with various iPhones and would highly recommend Three for 3G coverage and speed.

4. daveuk1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's great - I just wanted to double check that I could make voice calls on Three with the cellular data option turned off.

I work from home so most of my data would come from wifi. When I'm not near wifi I would use normal payg data or buy the add ons when I needed it.

Thanks for your help.