Cellular Data Surge

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Justim, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Justim macrumors 6502

After installation of iOS 6 I've encountered a giant surge in data. I went from using around a gig most months, to using a whopping 5GB last billing cycle.

I installed iOS 6 on June 12th, and my billing cycle begins on the 16th of every month.

The previous months data used are:

Jan 2012 - 1.4GB
    Feb 2012 - 1.2GB
    Mar 2012 - 0.6GB
    Apr 2012 - 2.6GB
    May 2012 - 0.7GB
    Jun 2012 - 1.4GB
    Jul 2012 - 4.7GB

I haven't used FaceTime irresponsibly or used my hotspot more than usual.

When I received my 90% usage notification, I contacted AT&T. The tech support lady told me the largest chunk, 1GB, was transmitted July 13th at 9pm. I looked back through my iMessages and it revealed I was packing for my upcoming move while at home on wifi.

Last night I supposedly transmitted 184MB while I was asleep and on wifi.

Has anyone else encountered a large surge in cellular data on iOS 6?

AT&T and I are monitoring my usage. Basically whatever happens this month will be given a free ride if this goes haywire. If I transmit 184MB every 12 hours, that's 11GB in one month charging me $60 in overages!

2. rtolboom macrumors member

I had this on my iPhone (running 5.1.1) nobody knew the cause but reinstalling the OS worked. Perhaps reinstalling will fix yours too?

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

I had this too. Set up as a new phone to fix.

4. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

A co worker had an issue with an email she tried to send that had failed. It was continually trying to retransmit and failing.

5. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

I have seen a huge increase in data usage on iOS6 as well. I'm on an AT&T "unlimited" plan and got a text saying I would be throttled if I go over 3GB again. I've never gotten close to the soft cap prior to this.

An odd thing is I've been checking my usage with the AT&T iPhone app and the amount of data it says I'm using is different than what I see if I check cellular usage in settings on the iPhone. It's actually off by a good bit. :confused:

6. Wilson1313 macrumors member

I have a similar issue, although I have unlimited data. My wifi is usually on at home, and have not streamed any videos, but I have streamed "some" music over wifi. Yet my usage shows 381 GB received and 48.4 GB sent (I've had this for under a month and yes, you read that right). Any ideas?

7. fortheus macrumors regular

This is scarry. Keep us update what's the cause. I don't think I have this problem but will keep monitor it from now on.

Thanks for the info

8. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

This is happening to me too. All of a sudden my data spiked this month. I'm halfway through my billing cycle and I'm at 3.7GB when I've never used more than 3GB in a month. I'm still on 5.1.1. I think it's the new podcast app since it's the only thing I've changed recently.
    I've gone back to Stitcher as of this morning. Will report if any changes.

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

10. applebro24 macrumors regular

Wow, over 4GB in three weeks, more than double what I normal use. No signs of throttling from Verizon which has occurred in the past.

My guess would be 3D maps but I'm not sure...

Attached Files:

11. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Is anyone else using Apple's new podcast app on a regular basis?

Reason I ask is that like I previously mentioned, I'm not on iOS 6, but I'm still getting the data spikes and I was thinking the podcast app was the culprit.

12. wherewuz macrumors member

wherewuz

Yep, this. I had this happen, and I thought it was iOS 6 related too. Deleting the Podcast app resolved the problem.

I really don't think the Podcast app is ready for primetime. It's slow, it crashes, and worse, it blew through two $30 AT&T 3 gig data plans in five days. Really shoddy work by Apple here.

13. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I've been using the podcast app, and I have not had any unusual data usage.

14. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Update:
    Deleted Apple's podcast app, and data consumption dropped immediately.

Seem like I'm back to normal usage.

15. Daddyos macrumors newbie

All of the above

I first noticed the problem after blowing through 400MB when activesync churned with an email it couldn't send. I shut that down. Noted other jumps in usage that I thought might be related to Find My Friends. The app Dataman shows that iCloud is consuming an unreasonable amount of data. Then today I started to listen to a Podcast that I'm sure I had already loaded to my iPhone thru iTunes. Nonetheless it quickly gobbled 50MB of data, 40.7 for "Media Server" plus 9.3 for Podcast. At the moment I have data turned off. Not sure what I'm going to do next. My prior data usage had consistently been below the 200mb allowance. I had considered upping to a 3GB plan but after hearing the stories in this thread feel better just leaving cellular data off until ios6 is updated.