iPad Cellular, Did I Miss Something?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ReallyNiceGuy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ReallyNiceGuy macrumors member

ReallyNiceGuy

I often hear about cellular as an excellent option with GPS and the ability to use data when WIFI isn't available.

I'm not sure about elsewhere but in Canada iPad data costs anywhere from $10 to $35 a month with a max of 5 gigs. The plan adjusts monthly so if you don't use it, you pay $10 that month, and up to 5 gigs the rate is adjusted accordingly.

Also people mention GPS capability. I currently use my iPhone for GPS with Maps. Not sure I see any advantage to use the iPad for GPS.

So, given that 5 gigs is nothing in terms of data, and would give you very little usage when you are considering a 30 day month, I don't see this as being a good deal at all.

Am I missing something?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Because i don't feel like whipping out my phone when I have my tablet in my hands ? Also you can use an iPad while driving a lot easier then a phone

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, as a normally heavy data user on desktops, I've been surprised at how far 1GB goes on an iPad, much less 5GB. For quite a few people, it does the job really well.

It should also be pointed out that most smartphones have the same limitations and similar data plans.

This isn't to say I LIKE not having an unlimtied data plan. Such plans definitely need to make a comeback. But for some people, having cellular access from time to time on an iPad is a good option to have.

And as for GPS and directions: Having a larger screen for maps and GPS-based activities is a nice thing, particularly if you have someone in the passenger seat doing the navigation.

4. Pjrufus, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I use my iPad for GPS because it's Verizon and gets coverage everywhere, my T-mobile iPhone not so much, but I do use iPhone GPS when I know I won't have to be concerned with T-mobile dead areas. Also, I don't see that great anymore, so I appreciate the big screen (when I'm parked, checking email etc.) even though I'm mostly listening to directions.

I use an app called MotionX for both. I've had it since iPad 1, and love it.

I have 1GB/mo., use GPS 3 or 4 days a week for 4-6 hours, I've never gone over 1 GB. I use Wifi at home.

5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I love having cellular on my iPad!

Not everyone (me included) has an iPhone.

I have a Verizon 1 GB data plan that costs $20 per month in the US. When I'm at home I use Wi-Fi, but the cell data plan is invaluable when I travel. 1 GB is adequate for me for about 10 days of travel, which is more than I normally do.

iPad with cell service makes a terrific GPS for use in the car. I have a nice mount for it. MUCH prefer it to either a dedicated automotive GPS or to a smart phone.

6. GoingDark macrumors 6502

As a semi-frequent traveler, I use my cellular iPad as a WiFi hotspot all the time. The battery lasts way longer than my iPhone in hotspot mode. The $10 a month that I pay (on a Telus share plan, drawing from my pool of 10GB a month) actually saves me money on hotel WiFi in the long run (yes, there are still plenty of hotels in Canada that don't offer free WiFi).

Granted, this is a pretty specific/limited use case so I obviously wouldn't recommend the cellular version to everybody, but it makes a lot more sense for some people than you might think.