Cellular Download Limit Increased?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by SpasticPat, Jan 9, 2015.

1. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that they're now able to download apps and updates that are over 100MB from the App Store? I noticed that my iPhone was able to download various apps that are listed as over 100MB using cellular when previously I always got the alert that Wifi was required.

Has this been changed recently? I haven't seen any articles or anything notifying that this was changed.

Maybe I'm incorrect? I have the game Vain Glory on my phone. There was an update today and it says:
    Version 1.1.63, 309 MB is that the size of the update or the app? I just tried to download Vice City and I did get the alert that I couldn't because it's too big.

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

That's the size of the app, not the update. Apps typically utilize delta updating so that you are not downloading the entire app over again.

3. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

This feature made more sense before you could configure what could and could not use mobile data and when mobile data was still expensive per MB. 5 or so years later and the iPhone behaves the same :/