Cellular FaceTime data usage on iP5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KeepCalmPeople, Oct 4, 2012.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

iOS 6 conveniently tells you how much data you have used in a cellular FaceTime call (look in 'Recent Calls'). On my 4S I recently had a 15 minute call that used 37MB of data, or 2.47MB/minute.

Can iPhone 5 users report on FaceTime over cellular data usage per minute? Also let us know if you were on 3G/4G or LTE.

I'm interested to see if the HD front-facing camera is downscaled when used over cellular, and whether FaceTime over LTE uses data at a greater rate.

2. TOOFY macrumors regular

I did a FaceTime over celluar lastnight for only 30 seconds. It came out to 2MB on my Sprint iPhone 5 to 27inch iMac at home. It handeled it pretty damn well knowing sprints data connection too. Pretty happy!

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

There is definitely a difference in video quality being on wifi vs the carrier network. My GF has verizon and I have att (unlimited data, so have to be on wifi). When we are both on WIFI it is crystal clear. If she is on cellular is looks like skype does on her PC...decent and definitely not HD.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize it showed how much data was used. A 3 minute call used 10MB on my iPhone 5.

I wonder how they calculate it though. I called my wife. I was on wifi with my iphone 5, she was on 3g celluar on her 4s.

So I don't really *care* how much it used on MY phone since I was on wifi. I really care how much her phone recognizes was used. Not to mention if we call each other both on celluar, isn't that somewhat "double dipping" from our data?

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I went on a trip and did a FaceTime with my wife. According to my i5 the FaceTime call lasted 23 minutes (3G) and it took up 64MB. I tried using LTE but the signal wasn't strong enough.

6. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

Im glad I have facetime available on Ios 5, Im waiting to upgrade to ios6 until the th jalbreak is ready. 3G unrestrictor is a great app.

7. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Yes, you will both be drawing on your cellular data plan(s) if you are both on cellular.

----------

So that's the same rate (roughly) as my 4S, which would lead me to believe that FaceTime over 3G/4G will lower the screen resolution of the iPhone 5 HD front-facing camera in the interests of a smoother video call.

8. rlpaolucci macrumors member

rlpaolucci

I was actually wondering about this. I have unlimited data with AT&T, and tried FaceTime with a friend who has VZW. It wanted me to connect to wifi before using. Why is this? I don't understand why I have to be on wifi?

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Cause att is screwing with unlimited data users and disabling FaceTime over 3G/4g for unlimited users and trying to push people off unlimited data onto their mobile sharing plans

10. rlpaolucci macrumors member

rlpaolucci

Ah, well I would never get rid of the unlimited data for FaceTime. I don't even use it, I was just trying it out because I knew that it was a new feature. Thank you!

11. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Quality using 3g unrestrictor on an cell network to wifi facetime call for me was just enough to get by, but nothing to write home about.

LTE to LTE on VZW calls showed a marked improvement. Haven't yet tried wifi to wifi.