Cellular Interferance Bleeding into iPhone 6 Speaker Output

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perezr10, May 19, 2015.

1. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else listen to music through external speakers on their iPhone and deal with "cellular crackle". I try to listen to music on my desk with speakers hooked up via the speaker output but whenever my cellular radios are on I get a lot of annoying speaker crackle.

It ocurred to me that maybe not everyone has that problem and maybe my iPhone 6 is defective.

So, is it just me?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Are they powered speakers? Do you hear this if you use a headset or different speakers? Have you used a different cable to the speakers?

There are several possible ways that interference can be picked up. "Defective" iPhone is just one of several.

If it only occurs when the cellular radios are turned on, you have proved that the source of the interference is the cellular radios, but you have not proved that the interference is part of the audio signal leaving the phone - it can also happen due to a faulty audio cable or be picked up by poorly designed/faulty electronics in the speakers, too.

3. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried two different external speaker systems and it's the same on both of them. It even happens in my car when I hook up the 1/8 audio cable to my phone. I'm not sure about headphones though, because I never used wired headphones.

4. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I should note that it's not a constant crackle. Only when like, I'm receiving a text message or downloading a song. Or even actively using Safari.

If nothing triggers cellular activity or if I put my phone into Airplane mode it doesn't crackle.

5. gretafour macrumors regular

I experienced this back in the days of my 3GS, which at the time was usually connected to 2G EDGE and made the characteristic static pulses in car speakers and other equipment.