iPad mini Cellular ipad as wifi only ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tacticus, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Tacticus macrumors newbie

I have been offered a mini ipad which is wifi and cellular but I just want it as wifi only. Will it work ok if I don't setup the cellular part ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will work fine, just keep the cellular off.

3. Tacticus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

It will work fine. But if you're buying, please remember that you're paying more for the device with extra feature that you're not going to use.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Get a T-mobile SIM card. Can't beat free data. You never know when you may want to use it.

6. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

True, but only if you already have the right plan or are willing to switch to one. For example, I had TMO prepaid when the free tablet promo was announced, but I couldn't use it because it was available only as an add-on to postpaid plans.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You don't need to disclose that you are already a T-Mobile customer to get 200MB. You just need a new email ID to setup a new T-Mobile account and get the 200MB with a new SIM starter kit. They don't even need a credit card.

8. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

The fine print must have changed because when I inquired about it -- before churning to Cricket in the spring -- the rep told me I couldn't use it without having a qualifying plan. Other customers reported the same thing, such as http://fyre.it/ZkfS6h.4

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Things may have changed. I am typing this on my Verizon rMini with T-Mobile SIM in it using the 200MB plan. I have two T-Mobile SIM's, one each tied to mine and wife's email addresses. Neither of us have a plan with T-Mobile, all they have is our name and ZIP code.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nah, they haven't changed policy. I signed up for the free 200MB when it was first announced. I think CoMoMacUser may have been trying to use the same email address associated with his prepaid account that's why it wasn't letting him do it. As for asking a customer service rep, that's a crapshoot. There are some knowledgeable reps but there are also far too many reps who just make up stuff when they don't know the actual answer.

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Maybe so. Even TMO's CEO admitted that they botched the launch:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/5/5...00mb-data-offer-not-free-for-financed-tablets

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-200mb-free-isnt-free

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Doesn't help if there is no coverage where you use it. I'm thinking of dumping T-Mobile on my phone since coverage is so poor for me.

13. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

That was the main reason why I churned to Cricket. Outdoors in a city was fine, but indoors and rural areas were dicey.

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I really like T-Mobile when it works. I just get bummed when I am the only person in a group without connectivity. It's gotten bad enough where I often have to use Skype calling over wifi when I have to make a call and nobody else is around to borrow their cell.

15. deaglecat macrumors 6502